Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dread Curse of Azathoth Spell Card & Terror: Discard All Terror Dice Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) How exactly does the Dread Curse of Azathoth spell card work? Do you put dice on both slots at the same time? Or can you save one die, use it later and keep re-using it without ever using two saved dice slots at the same time (and thus discarding it)?

2) What does "Terror: Discard all terror dice" mean? Does that only mean discard terror dice just thrown? Does it also mean discard terror(s) saved on spells? Or include focusing/assisting terror(s)? Or terror(s) used on the adventure card/monsters? Or all the above?

Any help would be much appreciated. Great game and I really enjoy it!

T.M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Kim
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1) Pretty sure the way it's played is that you have to put one or two dice on it at the same time after your roll or you waste one or both of the slots. Once both dice have been used the spell is discarded like other spells.

2) You should just discard all terror dice on that roll and ignore previously discarded or locked/spell/focus dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I play where you have to add either one or two from the same roll. It works just like other spells only it just can accommodate two dice.

2) Terror only takes place once you've declared you've failed the roll. So after Clues, spells, item and character abilities have been used and you still can't complete one task THEN the Terror effect takes place and you discard any die with a Terror icon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Err.. Correct mean if I'm wrong, but card effects should be declared BEFORE any roll, so if you have failed at the point of rolling, then terror effects would immediately apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mrmagpieman wrote:
Err.. Correct mean if I'm wrong, but card effects should be declared BEFORE any roll, so if you have failed at the point of rolling, then terror effects would immediately apply.

Here is the bit of text from the rulebook:

Quote:
When a player fails to complete a task and at least one of the
rolled dice produced a terror result, he resolves all Terror
effects on the Adventure card
as well as any on the Mythos card
currently in play (see “Resolving Mythos Cards” on page 9).

You can roll, get Terror icons, but not yet fail an Adventure Card as you might have other cards that alter the dice. Only after exhausting those option do you have a "final" roll that either completes tasks or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Clarke
United Kingdom
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks bioball,

At work at the moment so not quite got the brain in gear. Was too busy thinking about the rule book and not the cards which change results. Doh!

arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted M
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
1) I play where you have to add either one or two from the same roll. It works just like other spells only it just can accommodate two dice.

2) Terror only takes place once you've declared you've failed the roll. So after Clues, spells, item and character abilities have been used and you still can't complete one task THEN the Terror effect takes place and you discard any die with a Terror icon.

Terrific, thank you.

T.M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Foley
United States
East Bridgewater
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've been playing it that you discard terror dice you just rolled and have focused/assisted (since they are still part of the current roll), but not terror dice on tasks already completed. I have yet to save a terror roll on a spell in this particular situation, but I suppose that one should go if it was 'spelled' on the same roll.

Still, the effect does say 'all' terror dice. As with so many rules in this game, it needs clarification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.