Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
The boardgame blog with worse luck than you! dicehateme.com
mbmbmbmbmb

After posting the art for the Carnival box back, we’ve had several questions as to what the mysterious little monkey with a “1” next to him means. Many of you that follow www.dicehateme.com and The State of Games podcast guessed that it probably means that this is the first of Cherilyn’s games - her nickname, of course, being “Monkey.” This is a very good guess, but in this case, it happens to be a rather pleasant and fitting coincidence.

The Monkey is one of four designators for categories of present and future titles at Dice Hate Me Games. These four categories are all named after an animal in the Chinese zodiac, and they indicate the overall complexity and, in most cases, size of that particular game.

Rabbit titles will tend to be the light, casual and fast-paced games in the Dice Hate Me Games catalog. The upcoming Pulsar (released soon!) and Soapbox Derby are examples of Rabbits.

Monkey titles are a step up from Rabbits, yet still very accessible to casual gamers. These games will also be flexible and deep enough to provide a lasting challenge to experienced gamers. Carnival and the upcoming Sky Chiefs are examples of Monkeys.

Tiger titles are a bit more complex than Monkeys, typically involving deeper strategies and tactics, and adopting many aspects of Eurostyle gameplay. These titles will make up the bulk of the mid-range line of games with high-quality boards, wooden and plastic bits, and thick punchboard components. The upcoming VivaJava: The Coffee Game and Take The Bait! are examples of Tigers.

Dragon titles are the big boys - these will include the most bits, the largest scope of strategy and tactics, and, naturally, have the biggest box! The themes of Dragon games will be broad of scope, and involve new worlds or interesting twists on classic archetypes. The upcoming titles Bulletproof and Insomnia are examples of Dragons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.