Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ukko Kaarto
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all.
One of our gaming group just did the right thing and ordered Runewars. I've downloaded all the reference sheets and faq and Universal Head/Headless Hollow game sheet. At least I will learn the rules throughout and try make my best to make the first experience fluid rules wise.

We are most likely to play three or four player game first and the first impression should be as amazing as possible to make the doubting thomases of our group fall in love with this game (and us enthusiasts too). That's why it would be awesome to hear from the veterans what should we do in order to make sure we get the best possible experience during the first game.

First of all, epic or non-epic to start with? If I understand right, fighting doesn't (necessarily) play a big part during the non-epic game. It would be pity if we don't get to fight as I think everybody would enjoy that. Also I've seen complaints that the non-epic version ends abruptly and leaves people without the feeling accomplishment. I think that would be the game killer for us as it is important that you feel that your tactics and decisions have an impact and that the game isnt' won by a lucky draw.

Still, is there a point to start out with (a lot?) longer epic game or should we settle for the non-epic to start with?

I've also understood that the map layout plays big part in whether there are battles or not. What should we look out for when creating our first map? What kind of map provides the most fun and engaging game. If there's something that should be done there to make the game more enjoyable?

Any other pointers that would ensure a pleasurable first date with Runewars?

Cheers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Honestly, just play and don't worry about worrying about it.
Play non-epic first game since its a learner. If you are worried about the lack of combat then don't be a pussy and attack someone.
Also be sure to use the optional rule, im not sure why it is option so just chuck it in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshal Anderson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to speed things up you could use existing maps:

You really need to play once to get an idea about how to set up the maps.

Grumbs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Kelly
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd play basic rules, but go ahead and use the exploration tokens for the heroes. When setting up the board, don't be afraid to create peninsulas and "holes" in the map. This will make it easier to get the starting areas the requisite 4-hex distance apart.

TK
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Bradley
United Kingdom
Haverhill
Suffolk
flag msg tools
badge
The best things in life aren't things.
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember the initial board setup and home-realm choices are part of the game, not just part of the setup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Castrequini
Brazil
Valinhos
SP
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My only worry should be the starting map.

My first map was (almost) a straight line. So it was to long. I did not complete a single quest or objective! (also I was using wrong rules for moving the hero...)

So, IMO go for a pre-set map!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rush
United Kingdom
Port Talbot
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have recently also just started this fantastic game with our gaming group and to be honest I think that your concerns about getting the others in your group to like the game are the least of your worries , we only played the basic game to start , with no exploration tiles and only needed 6 runes to win and it still took 5 hours to play but everyone couldn't believe that a whole 5 hours had past while playing as everyone had so much fun , ease your group in slowly and let them learn the game before playing the epic version.
There are alot of things to learn on your first game even if you read the rules adozen times before playing because you'll find that alot of specifics crop up that add a few complications to the game but once learned are easily remembered for future games .
I only wish that I hadn't taken so long before purchasing this fantastic game and now can't wAit to introduce the new expansion that will hopefully balance out the undead from wreaking havoc across the board on so many of our games but hey that all adds to the fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paula Webb
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Set plenty of time aside to play Runewars so no one feels rushed or needs to be somewhere. Our first game was with 3 players and took about 3 1/2 hours but could easily have gone much longer

I would also suggest that rather than just reading over the rules if possible someone should go through and set up the game and play out a year or two so they understand the flow of the game and can reread the rules to check up on any questions that arise. Doing this will decrease the number of times you need to go back and refer to the rules during actual game play. Pay particular attention to some of the combat rules and the flow of combat, especially if your group will be particularly into that as some of the rules did slow us down a bit our first play through.

Runewars is a great game that I wish we had a chance to play more often. Most importantly of course. Enjoy the game and as was already said don't stress too much about getting people to love the game. I don't think that will be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bernier
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the same boat OP. I already played a 2-player game with my brother. I LOVED it and he LIKED it. He's more of a simple/fast-paced kind of gamer so Runewars was the limit he would like. But overall he liked it and want to play again.

I'm playing a 3-player game monday evening with my brother again and my roommate who never pklayed the game and only boardgame he ever played was Talisman with me and some friends. He's new to this hobby and really open to try different stuff.

So as many already said, don't stress about what others think of the game. It offers a lot without being too tedious. It got everything you'd want in a game (IMO), ressource management, exploration, combat, diplomacy, heroes, questing, frail alliances and simple yet effective mechanics!

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.