Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering if it is too early for a review of a game that I have played five times (only four of which to completion). It’s also the first time I have ever posted a review so I am doubly self-conscious that I don’t make a “Game Review” related faux pas.

Still the part of me that wants to hold back is being held down and beaten into submission by the larger part of me (and believe me there’s a large part of me to go around) that wants to post this up and open myself up to spirited debate (or ridicule and abuse)

So Fantasy Quest what’s it all about…

First off I have to warn you I may “gush” in places and I’ll ruin the ending now (this isn’t an M.Night Shyamalyn review) by saying I love this game.

I won’t get into what it is or how it came to be, NinjaDorg (ND) already has some detailed explanatory posts on this site and at his own http://ratdorg.blogspot.com/p/fantasy-quest.html and I heartily recommend reading these to see if this game would be on your radar before bothering with reading this review.

COMPONENTS ()

Now currently the version being played is a Beta Test edition with, as ND puts it, “holding Artwork”.

You’d think this would make for a reduction in quality and frankly this could not be further from the truth. The cards are beautiful, game text is clear in both terms of rules (each card listing one or more keywords as well as game effects) and also in being able to read it against the background. Further the flavour text adds to the games setting especially tying the cards to Sagas (more later).

The game icons are presented down the side of the card and even without a passing familiarity with games of this sort it would not require much effort to remember what each icon represents.

There are a lot of cards (350+) divided up to include:
• Characters (each with unique stats and abilities - double sided for both male and female versions)
• Classes (three from each of Pious, Martial, Shadow and Magic)
• Skills (for each class type levels 1 to 4)
• Locations (5 for each terrain type - Plains, Mountains, Badlands and Forest double sided plus The Sprawl)
• Encounter Decks for each terrain type
• Rewards (Items, Spells, Titles, Ally)
• Night cards that govern game length and affect the game environment
• Sagas (your initial quest)
• Ancients (the ultimate foe)
• Market (sprinkled with a little of everything available as a reward)

Did I mention how beautiful the artwork is? Each piece adds to the game whether it is a Character, Encounter or Reward, and I can only hope that once testing has been completed and ND decides his next step that Artwork of similar quality as this can be used.

Tokens are also provided as part of the Print and Play files covering Health, Fate, Gold and the others needed to play but I have gone a step further and organised my own as I felt the tokens didn’t do the cards justice. Still useful to have if getting the game onto the table asap is your priority.

Finally all you need are dice (quite a few and if you are playing Solo and want to move things along two different colours so you can roll one lot during Combat for you and your protagonist) and a Figure to represent each player (anything from the generic painted minis lines that are out there would suit although in my first game I used one of my sons Lego figures )

Why not a full 5.0? well the skills / class cards whilst perfectly functional have repeated artwork and after being spoilt on the others I would have liked some variety here. At the very least some alternate class art. I am assuming that it has been repeated to link the Class to Skill cards in game terms.

RULES ()

The rules are a concise PDF file that I printed as a pamphlet and combined with the information on the cards provide you with all you need.
My only criticism with the rules is one that I have posted on before (and have trouble articulating ironically) and it is this that whilst all the rules are there the lay-out seems disjointed. I find the best rules, no matter how complex the game, have a “flow” or “rhythm” to them that make reading and understanding easy, that allow finding a specific rule mid game easy and result in more time in game and less time out. Which is a game like this where the story is also a part of the experience would be a big bonus.

I don’t want to give the impression that the rules aren’t clear or missing anything important, it just seems when I read through I don’t get that “flow”. It feels like a minor point and maybe more a product of my limited game play to date than the rules themselves so I would be interested in others views.

Had originally scored this section as 3.5 but seems a little harsh so will score 4.0. It’s all there just something is niggling to me.

GAMEPLAY ()
Each player begins with a Character, Class, Skill, Saga and Reward. The Character and Class are chosen however I like playing randomly after years of Talisman. You choose your skill based on your Class and receive a Saga at random. The Saga has a tale that lists out eight objectives/keywords a player needs to acquire/achieve to complete it. For example in one game I was looking to Discover Land that needed me to obtain cards with the keywords Badlands, Respite, Potion, Place, Quest, Title, Spell and Shadow. Finding these can range from the easy - I was a Scout and so had the keyword Shadow, to the medium looking for a Badlands card ? head into the Badlands! To the hard - Respite will be found in an encounter deck, somewhere!. Further your initial reward selection at start up can be selected to assist i.e. take an Item or Spell if that is required.

Turns are straightforward broken into Day and Night – during the Day the players move and interact with the Realm using a simple mechanic of health equals action points (AP) that govern what you can and cannot do in a turn i.e. one AP to move, one to put a card into play or one to encounter a face up card. Some actions are free such as encountering an enemy.

I won’t go into too much detail but there is enough choice and strategy in this game to make each time you play different and I have found that in completing the Sagas I am running a narrative in my head as I play and not just moving a token here and rolling dice there etc.

Combat is straight forward each round you roll dice equal to your Fight stat plus any modifiers aiming to reduce enemy’s wounds to 0 as they in turn do the same – 5 and 6’s being a success. Combat is simultaneous and if you find it is not going your way you can always flee.

During the Night one part of the realm falls into Gloom flipping the location and making it hazardous to finish your turn there and an additional event, weather, enemy etc. comes into play. If there are no more Night cards the Gloom is complete and you have lost.

Once you have all the parts of your Saga the card directs you to a location where you may play the card reading it through and showing the other players (or yourself!) each card containing a keyword either in play or in your hand. The Saga then becomes a Totem granting both a boon as well as an increase in health up to a mighty 8 HP’s. Now the Ancient is revealed and this becomes your goal to win the game each Ancient having requirements to encounter and considerable stats to defeat.

There is a lot I haven’t gone into such as how cards are encountered and earning rewards, buying skills etc. but I am conscious of length of this review .

Can’t convey how much fun this game is however I have tempered the score to reflect the fact that I have only played Solo to date – so could well be higher once additional player involvement has been experienced.
Overall 4.16 out of 5 stars which given as it’s my review I’ll round to especially given re-playability given the variable set up of the “board”, the ten characters and twelve classes, the ten sagas and four ancients.

Unfortunately the game is still in testing and not yet available but if you are interested hang in as in my opinion it will be worthwhile the wait

Nick

edited for spelling and minor correction as posted below
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Steuperaert
Belgium
Desselgem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.

In am awaiting my game from artscow. Not sure yet what to use for counters and other stuff.

In one sentence you said competing the saga, i think you mean completing.

Certainly looking forward to it even more now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review Nick. You covered all of the key points here and the only thing I would like to add is that every time you play you are involved in an epic story.

The way the games plays it takes your hero on a journey from meager beginnings to vast wealth (and sometimes back again) which makes for some interesting tales and characters you really start to route for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wowwow

Awesome review - this is way more than I could have expected/hoped for. For some reason I was expecting more negativity. I'm psyched now to get stuck into the next version of the rules, particularly with the Living FAQ being where it's already at. I'll try to include an Index and Examples of Play this time too, hopefully clarify things for people.

Thanks a million for posting this, got me some things to improve on and plenty of positives to take away too!

Quote:
The Saga then becomes a Totem granting both a boon as well as an increase in health by a mighty +8 HP’s.

This should probably be +4 HP for a total of 8.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Guy thanks for the pick up have edited that accordingly.

ND oops my bad yes should be total of 8 HP's mind you +8 might have helped me defeat those Orcs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great review, really whetting my appetite even further for this game. Fortunately I am a patient gamer, and having to wait to play this is only making the time it does become available all the more sweeter.

In the meantime, I've got my recent purchases, Field Commander: Napoleon, Elder Sign and Lost Battles to occupy me until the release of Fantasy Quest.

Good luck with the further playtesting, which seems to be going very well, and augers well for the game's future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave in Ledbury wrote:
A great review, really whetting my appetite even further for this game. Fortunately I am a patient gamer, and having to wait to play this is only making the time it does become available all the more sweeter.

In the meantime, I've got my recent purchases, Field Commander: Napoleon, Elder Sign and Lost Battles to occupy me until the release of Fantasy Quest.

Good luck with the further playtesting, which seems to be going very well, and augers well for the game's future.

Thanks Dave, and as for Fantasy Quest's release - hang in there, I'll be needing more guys like you, soon hopefully!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Mistiaen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds nice.
I suggest you add a blank star to your '4' scores so that it does not appear as if you were giving full mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.