Subject: Mustering: further clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Wall
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocks can only be mustered to Friendly Recruitment Locations.

Moving Into Combat: Blocks can be Mustered into a combat situation only if the combat was initiated by blocks on the board - an attack cannot come from the recruitment Box, but it can if supported from there.

From this I assume that if my forces are being beseiged in a Friendly recruitment location by the enemy, I could move friendly blocks into the location and then conduct a muster there.

Is the fact that I have beseiged units there sufficient to allow me to conduct a muster into the Friendly Recruitment Location?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Besieged units are sufficient presence to permit mustering into that location. (Note that the mustered units arrive in the location, not in the castle. This means you'll have to fight outside the castle on the turn they arrive.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Winslow
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So Mustered units CAN cause a battle? I didn't think they could (my apologies, a friend is borrowing my rules so we can play later this week!). But this answer implies they can, especially if a siege only has a "Disc" defending.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I understand the 'further clarification' in the title. Didn't Matt already cover this in his answers in this thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
It’s not how well you roll that counts but how well the dice suit the game.
mbmbmbmbmb
brandysta wrote:
So Mustered units CAN cause a battle? I didn't think they could (my apologies, a friend is borrowing my rules so we can play later this week!). But this answer implies they can, especially if a siege only has a "Disc" defending.

This is a subtely different question!

It's asking, whether if a besieged DISC is left on its own, can you muster blocks there?

If it was a besieged BLOCK on its own, the answer is yes, as all blocks would then go out and fight.

But this is a disc - and discs cannot go out and fight!

laugh Good question!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
brandysta wrote:

This will never come up because the only disk that can be sieged is in Ueda castle and that is not a recruitment location.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Great game design makes the complex simple, replayability maximum, and abstraction credible.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Don't forget Toyotomi

It's a long shot, but he may end up alone. Can (the historical traitor) Kobayakawa save him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
"Nothing in Biology Makes Sense Except in the Light of Evolution" - Theodosius Dobzhansky
badge
There is grandeur in this view of life, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been, and are being, evolved.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:

Don't forget Toyotomi

He cannot defend against a siege though. If he finds himself alone in Osaka castle you can't muster because the game is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Young
Wales
Wellesley
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
And if you never have, you should. These things are fun and fun is good.
mbmbmbmbmb
The wording that confused me RE: mustering last night was this:

A. The player may bring any (or all) blocks belonging to the same
daimyo from the Recruitment Box to a Recruitment location that
has the matching daimyo mon. These blocks must be displayed to
your opponent to prove that they match.

B. Alternatively, a player may Muster to any friendly Recruitment
Location a single block of any daimyo. In this case, the block need
not be displayed.

So, we played it that you couldn't muster using Option B into a location that had enemy forces at the outset as it wasn't and isn't friendly (yet). Option A doesn't make the distinction of 'friendly'.

ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mdp4828 wrote:
Adam Parker wrote:
Don't forget Toyotomi

He cannot defend against a siege though. If he finds himself alone in Osaka castle you can't muster because the game is over.

Where's that written?

9.1 - He's the last unit lost in a siege at Osaka, but until he's destroyed the game continues. He's a disc - he can defend, but he can't fight back. Just like Sanada.

ninja Sanada's benefit - he can die in lieu of any block lost a siege.

ninja Toyotomi's benefit - he can die only as the last block in a siege.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Parker
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
medievalbanquet wrote:

B. Alternatively, a player may Muster to any friendly Recruitment
Location a single block of any daimyo. In this case, the block need
not be displayed.

I believe the emphasis here is just a way to save words by saying:

"A player can muster to any daimyo's recruitment location - that is aligned to his side - by being of the same color at the start of the game".

PS: Reason being is that you can muster into combat (so long as friendly forces initiated that combat of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Deacon
United States
Piedmont
California
flag msg tools
mb
So this question boils down to, can you Muster in Osaka if there is only the disc remaining in the location.

Edited: you cannot Muster in a space with just a disc as the disc cannot initiate combat. See Matt C's reply below.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall P.
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Parker wrote:
mdp4828 wrote:
Adam Parker wrote:
Don't forget Toyotomi

Where's that written?

9.1 - He's the last unit lost in a siege at Osaka, but until he's destroyed the game continues. He's a disc - he can defend, but he can't fight back. Just like Sanada.

ninja Sanada's benefit - he can die in lieu of any block lost a siege.

ninja Toyotomi's benefit - he can die only as the last block in a siege.

Huh, I guess I was assuming from the wording of the Sanada disk:

"A disk (labeled with the Sanada mon) is placed in the circle next
to Ueda castle before the game begins. It represents the cunning
of Sanada Masayuki. Any loss inflicted on Ueda castle in a siege
may destroy this chip instead of a block."

that the rules were drawing a contrast between Sanada and Toyotomi. Otherwise, you really only need a "disk" rule. "Disks may be destroyed in a siege in lieu of a block". Of course, a player would choose to destroy Toyotomi last (since that loses the game) and Sanada first (since that preserves an otherwise useful block).

The fact that there was a "Sanada rule" made me think that there was something unique about that rule I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
musici wrote:
So this question boils down to, can you Muster in Osaka if there is only the disc remaining in the location.

This is a great question. Thanks.

You can only muster into a combat initiated by pieces on the board. Since a disk by itself cannot initiate a combat, blocks cannot be mustered there to support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.