10 Posts

Innovation: Echoes of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Do the 'no effect' Dogmas trigger a bonus Draw? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moisés Solé
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few cards with a Dogma that says simply "No effect". Do those count as shared if someone has as many or more key symbols than I? On one hand, they are not optional, but on the other hand, they cause no change at all.

Those are really weird. If they count as shared, why not just take a Draw action instead of a Dogma action? And if they don't, why do they even have a key symbol associated with them? I can't really seem to grasp the concept of those Dogmas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything with a "No effect" dogma has either a bonus or an echo effect, so they can still be useful as top cards or exposed in splays. They have symbols associated with them partly for consistency (I assume), but also so that you can trigger echo effects further down.

If the "No effect" is the only thing happening (if you can even call that "happening"), I would not think there would be a share bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
For sharing to trigger, some change in state of the game for the sharing player must occur. Even increased knowledge of the cards (e.g. "look at the top card and return it") counts as a state change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
They have a trigger symbol because you can activate them to use echo effects in that stack, and the echo effects need a symbol to key off of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jaysachs wrote:
For sharing to trigger, some change in state of the game for the sharing player must occur. Even increased knowledge of the cards (e.g. "look at the top card and return it") counts as a state change.

Sorry to come in late to this thread, but I just purchased the Iello version.

So, if that does not happen (there is really no effect) then there can be no 'sharing'?

Others disagree me and say "you are forced to share, therefore the card owner draws regardless." I'd like this clarified in an official FAQ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Look at Chris' reply in this thread

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has more detail this thread.

Also, I believe the Asmadi version of the rules are clear on this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
Funded by supporters like you!
mb
Quote:
Do the 'no effect' Dogmas trigger a bonus Draw?

No, they have no effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
mb
bryanldoughty wrote:
Quote:

No, they have no effect.

You are being facetious Bryan. Those dogmas can still be use to trigger the visible echo effects.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Doughty
United States
California
flag msg tools
OVERTEXT HERE
badge
mb
bryanldoughty wrote:
bryanldoughty wrote:
Quote:

No, they have no effect.

You are being facetious Bryan. Those dogmas can still be use to trigger the visible echo effects.

*Sigh* Can't a guy fool around on the Internet anymore without someone makeing a deal of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.