Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've been pleasantly surprised by Gears Of War:TBG since I bought it; it works extremely well in solo mode & there is plenty of food for thought considering it's basically a sci-fi dungeon-crawl/shoot-em-up.

I really like the aspect of cover in particular, very clever.

So I've been wondering how does this compare to the video game, either in mechanics or theme? I never played it & only knew of it until I saw the board game. I did play DOOM & Quake when they were around on the PC, but I suspect GoW is in a similiar vein...

As an aside point, I am slightly disappointed that the Beserker is only used in the China Shop mission. I would have liked to see at least one more mission that used the Beserker. Also the COGs are a bit too similar in appearance (apart from the one carrying a grenade) but that is minor quibble.

Any ideas what could be used should an expansion or two be released?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
So I've been pleasantly surprised by Gears Of War:TBG since I bought it; it works extremely well in solo mode & there is plenty of food for thought considering it's basically a sci-fi dungeon-crawl/shoot-em-up.

So I've been wondering how does this compare to the video game, either in mechanics or theme? I never played it & only knew of it until I saw the board game. I did play DOOM & Quake when they were around on the PC, but I suspect GoW is in a similiar vein...

As an aside point, I am slightly disappointed that the Beserker is only used in the China Shop mission. I would have liked to see at least one more mission that used the Beserker. Also the COGs are a bit too similar in appearance (apart from the one carrying a grenade) but that is minor quibble.

At least taking cover is very important tactics in the video game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan S
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:

I thought Fantasy Flight did a great job of translating Gears of War into a board game. GoW is a slower shooter than games like Call of Duty so it kind of makes sense to translate it to a turn-based board game.

As the previous poster mentioned cover is a huge part of the video game so that had to be in the board game. The "roadie-run" mechanic from the video game is also part of the board as one of the reaction abilities you can perform when running along behind another player on their turn. The GoW video game also has a great co-op campaign mode where you have to heal your teammates and they included that in the board game too.

The theme is exactly the same as the first video game - a series of missions where you're being attacked from all sides by the Locust Horde. I think the board game does a great job of capturing the feel of being surrounded by a ton of enemies.

The board game really only uses things from the first game so I would assume expansions will include things from the second and third game (the 3rd game is being released in the US tomorrow). I would guess they could add things like more characters, more monsters and different scenarios. It's been a while since I've played much of the GoW2 campaign so I don't recall if a lot of new weapons were added to the second game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lawton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They've really included most of the weapons but I would quite like to see the grinder, although it was overpowered even in the video game - it's basically a portable turret with a LOT of ammo.

The one thing I loved from the video game was 'popping' heads with the sniper rifle but I don't really think this could be done in a board game in as much detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There are certainly more characters they can draw from for an expansion, but just providing new characters and scenarios seems unlikely to me. I will actually be a bit surprised if there isn't some sort of adversarial mode in the inevitable expansion, considering how much of a focus there is on the online multiplayer in the video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Versus mode like the Doom: The boardgame death match mode would be awesome.

I'd also like to see in an expansion:

-More missions, at least 6 preferably 10.
-1 or 2 new characters
-around 10 new map tiles, including some weird shapes/equipment/features (train tiles from the end of the first game?)
-Miniatures/tokens for the Locusts with stats but not figures in the base game
-A couple new Locust types
-Rules/missions/cards for those missions in the first game where it was dark and you couldn't leave the light. If you can replicate the coop part where you have to move the light for your teammate, that would be amazing
-Some new AI cards for the existing monsters, maybe more extreme/clever stuff to vary it up
-More COG Order Cards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm impressed with how they decided to make all the missions work on cards. POD Expansions anyone? It would actually be very easy to create a bunch of new missions in a small POD deck...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I'm impressed with how they decided to make all the missions work on cards. POD Expansions anyone? It would actually be very easy to create a bunch of new missions in a small POD deck...

-shnar

They could also make a new location deck, so long as it uses existing tiles. As well as new weapon cards to go with the new scenario/map cards, and new enemy cards, as long as they use the same figures, wounded tokens, and AI cards as an existing locust type.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David F
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
Luck in games, in measured doses, is the catalyst which enables shocking game-changers that you'll remember and talk about forever.
badge
Let the Lord of Chaos rule.
mbmbmbmbmb
I devote a full section to explaining how faithful the board game is to the video game in my review: From Video Game Fan to Board Game Fan

The video game is famous for its cooperative play (very new at the time), cover system (the secret is this game is very chick-friendly, because newbies can take cover and advance at their own pace, instead of being overwhelmed by all the shooting) and memorable weapons: the chainsaw, headshots with a sniper rifle or magnum, landing a well-placed torque bow arrow etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to grind a bone, but Rainbow 6 was doing all that years before this game was even conceived

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.