Popular Tags: [View All]
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After really wanting the wooden boxes others have put up pictures of, I mandaged to stumble upon a really good quality cheap alternative.

There's a guy on a local market who has ended up with a surplus of "really useful boxes" (I have his contact details if anyone's interested). I was able to pick up the 11L box with the 16 hole insert for £9.

This box is very strong, I can stand on it (15+ stone) and it doenst even flex. I have Dominion, Intrigue, Prosperity and the 4 promos all sleeved in the cheap sleeves and they fit with loads of space left (I'm not sure but I think it could very well fit all the dominion games in this box).

The box is big enough to hold the rules on top.

In the bottom right slot I have the player boards and the metal counters. For this I went to poundland and picked up one of these, strangely for 50p.

which has inside it this box

which can be used to store all the metal pieces well.

So for just under £10 I have a very strong storage system, which suit's me fine. Hopefully I can play this game more now -I'd stopped taking the game with me as the box was starting to fail under the weight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Conradie
Canada
Rossland
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a fantastic box! Does it have a brand name and model number printed on it somewhere?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kadeth Kadeth
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub...

The product really is named Really Useful Boxes, they are based out of the UK, but I have seen some of their stuff in Staples and Office Depot in the US, this particular one is not available at either that I know of and shipping from the company store is more than the product is but stays the same up through 5 of them. I bought a 4 liter box and made my own dividers and the cards lie on their sides.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Anderson
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks very handy indeed. What insert did you use?

H

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hoo McHoo wrote:
Looks very handy indeed. What insert did you use?

H

I have the Large Tray 16 as per
http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub...

but the like Kadeth put up is for the box and insert together.

their stuff is great but the shipping comes to nearly the same as the unit themselves, which is why I was glad to pick it up from a market as it saves that cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Usher
Wales
Conwy
Conwy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the cards fit upright when the lid is on (as in, if a compartment was completely full of cards)? I only ask because the site says the internal dimensions are 91mm deep, and Dominion cards are also about 91mm in length.

If so, would there be room for tab dividers that stick above the cards?

Might have to go for the XL version with a bit more clearance if I want to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tomusher wrote:
Do the cards fit upright when the lid is on (as in, if a compartment was completely full of cards)? I only ask because the site says the internal dimensions are 91mm deep, and Dominion cards are also about 91mm in length.

It is quite tight, but the centre section of the lid is raised which gives a bit more play to the size. It's true I haven't filled them completly and doing so might make them a bit snug for some tastes but I would still risk it myself. Due to the length of the chambers, not many would need to be taken from a completly full chamber to give a bit of a slant and free up some height.

tomusher wrote:
If so, would there be room for tab dividers that stick above the cards?

No chance, what-so-ever.

Hope this makes sence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall B
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
I've spend the night scouring BGG for Dominion solutions, and this looks like the neatest solution around - the locking lid trumps a huge cardboard card box and the dividers look pretty nifty.

Quick question - have you added any more expansions to the box? I've got all of them up to Hinterlands and think it's time to upgrade from my Seaside-era converted cassette tape box...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
onefreeman wrote:
Quick question - have you added any more expansions to the box? I've got all of them up to Hinterlands and think it's time to upgrade from my Seaside-era converted cassette tape box...

Sorry, No. I've still just got base, intrigue and prosperity. Maybe someone else has more and can tell you but I'm done with my 3 sets, I have no intrest in picking the rest up.
Hope it works out for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall B
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
Dragon Hide wrote:
Sorry, No. I've still just got base, intrigue and prosperity. Maybe someone else has more and can tell you but I'm done with my 3 sets, I have no intrest in picking the rest up.
Hope it works out for you.

Ah well, fingers crossed. By my math you've 1300 cards in there and it looks about half-full - there's another 900 out plus 450 on the way so it might just be possible! Failing that I can drop the placeholders (190-odd cards) and use Dominizer. Or, just buy the larger box and have two layers, then I've space for Race for the Galaxy too

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
PlanetM
badge
Gaming with the family :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing these out, I'm waiting for some expansions to arrive and really needed a storage solution.

For UK people, I spotted these on Tesco direct yesterday, ordered them and was able to collect from my local store today to avoid postage costs.

The cards do not quite fit if stood upright, but I don't see this as an issue as you need some room to be able to flick through and find the pile you need. They are incredibly well made too, a great solution IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone tried this with all the expansions so far?

The 11 XL seems like it would be a nicer option, but is really hard to get hold of - can only find it direct from the manufacturers, with massive postage charges. I don't want to fork out only to find that it won't hold everything.

has anyone tried the 18 Litre (next size up which takes that tray) I can't decided whether this would give much extra (usable) space- it claims to hold 2 of the trays, but I doubt it's tall enough

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I decided to give it a go anyway, with the Standard 11L box.

I don't have the cards sleeved for general game play, but I've put each set of 10 or 12 cards in penny sleeves for storage.

All the expansions upto Cornucopia have gone in comfortably at the moment, I have the promos in a compartment by themselves, all the randomisers in a compartment, and the coins/tokens etc in a compartment, but by removing the randomisers (use a phone app instead) and putting promos in with tokens, there'll be plenty pf space for Hinterlands too once I get it.

Base game/large expansion gets two slots in the tray, small expansions just the one. I've only got one set of basic coins/victory cards in here, others are in another box, along with Pirate Ship/Island/Native Village mats, that wouldn't fit into this box.

I'm still fairly impressed tho. It's easy to find stuff, and it holds everything I need for 95% of the games I play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rummy LeBeau
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've been considering a cheap storage solution myself, but don't see too much in the way of good in the UK. Does anyone know if you can still get these, or an alternative cheap solution? I was considering a zip binder and 9 page sleeves, but that's not particularly cheap either

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KT
United Kingdom
Bingham
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rumdumcious wrote:
I've been considering a cheap storage solution myself, but don't see too much in the way of good in the UK. Does anyone know if you can still get these, or an alternative cheap solution? I was considering a zip binder and 9 page sleeves, but that's not particularly cheap either

After I originally posted this, I have since seen these on sale in hobbycraft. You might pop on down and see what you can find.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rummy LeBeau
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Dragon Hide wrote:
Rumdumcious wrote:

After I originally posted this, I have since seen these on sale in hobbycraft. You might pop on down and see what you can find.

Sweet, thanks for the reply. There's a hobbycraft right on my way home from work! I have for now however, provisionally invested in some fit-any-folder 9 pocket sheets off ebay, and hoping to find a zip/presentation binder from somewhere that'll fit them in, hopefully. Definitely gonna pop by HobbyCraft and have a look, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arron Seymour
United Kingdom
PEACEHAVEN
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mb
In case u still haven't found one, I ordered mine from viking direct

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.