Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
I played a couple games of xx at gencon this year and last and one thing that I noticed was that the players who were winning were primarily trashing the stocks of the person on their right. They'd hit others but the person on their right seemed to be the regular target.

Is there a rule of thumb here that I just haven't learned yet? Is it because the person on your right will be acting before you most of the time in the SR? or was I observing a pattern that isn't actually there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Were they actively trashing them (buy/sell in the same SR) or just buying them and selling them later? It is common to buy to your right to reduce the chance of someone dumping a company (sell on your turn right before they can do it). Often it is better to buy shares with extra money to make dividends. All other things being equal, buy to your immediate right, then sell in a later round, which might have looked like "trashing" to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottredracecar wrote:
Were they actively trashing them (buy/sell in the same SR) or just buying them and selling them later? It is common to buy to your right to reduce the chance of someone dumping a company (sell on your turn right before they can do it). Often it is better to buy shares with extra money to make dividends. All other things being equal, buy to your immediate right, then sell in a later round, which might have looked like "trashing" to you.

you yanks don't use the metric system but unless you also have the clocks running the other way it is safe to buy to the player to your left, who will almost always come after you next SR, not your right. if you buy to your right and then see the right hand player passing before others you might feel forced to sell what you just bought as the gamble didn't work
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:
you yanks don't use the metric system but unless you also have the clocks running the other way it is safe to buy to the player to your left

Yes, I mixed that up. It's more safe to buy to the left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Two players in particular would buy one, then on their next action would buy one and sell 2. All in the same SR. This would almost always be very early in the game, SR2 or 3, and always the player on their right would get hit first. They might repeat it for the next player around on their right as well.

Just curious if this is a common pattern that more experienced players have learned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
The behaviour more likely had to do with private distribution than right/left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So trashing value of players with the better privates?

That could have been.

In 18Neb, it was the player with the UP. I remember that because it was me with the UP.

I don't recall the private distribution in 1830 and 1856.

I acknowledge that the sample size was low so I may have been observing a pattern that had other causes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Berry
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:
In 18Neb, it was the player with the UP. I remember that because it was me with the UP.

The behaviour you describe isn't legal in 18NEB. A player can only sell shares before buying a share, so can't buy a second share and immediately sell both. Possibly in the 18NEB game they just bought a single share and then sold it in their next turn?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
It was definitely a 2 sale but the second one may have been sold a round later and both on the same round they were bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.