Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Earth Reborn» Forums » Rules

Subject: Any houserules you use to increase playability/realism? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mu friends and I use a couple of house rules in our sessions of ER, most of which pertain to the shooting rules and the interrupt rules.

The first one we're not actually sure if it's a house rule or a normal part of the game (and we just misunderstood the actual rule). When you interrupt for "a unit enters your line of sight", you can interrupt at any point of their movement as long as they remain in your line of sight. So, if someone pops out of the woods and moves a few spaces closer, you can "aim your shot" and wait, but you can't interrupt them if they leave your line of sight. In the case that you say "wait! I want to interrupt" (if the moving player is moving their piece really fast or something), then you must accept the very first tile where "a unit enters your line of sight". You can't make them go to a specific square if you neglected to interrupt them on that square.

The second house rule is in direct conflict with the rulebook, which states that after a Duel is won by the interrupter, the defending player who was moving may face their unit in any direction (ideally, they'd face it toward their attacker). However, we do not use that rule. When moving along the board, your knife always points forward (until the final move, where you can pick the direction you face). But if you are interrupted, you have to honor your facing. Example: Vasquez is running down a hallway away from Officer's Bedroom #1. Hollister is in a room off to the side with the door open. When Vasquez runs by, Hollister interrupts and if Hollister wins the duel, Vasquez will be attacked from her side defense (in the case of melee) and is not allowed to adjust her facing, because Hollister interrupted her and caught her off guard.

The third house rule is that explosive weapons (grenades, bazooka, etc) can be used to target any spot of the map. We weren't sure if you are allowed to target blank spots in order to use indirect splash damage, but we figured that allowing such a maneuver is more realistic and fits with the theme of the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bigney
United States
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
When moving along the board, your knife always points forward (until the final move, where you can pick the direction you face). But if you are interrupted, you have to honor your facing. Example: Vasquez


This strikes me as liable to make movement a great deal more cumbersome, as you now have to care about a unit's facing during each of their steps. Can a unit sidestep? Back up? Strafe? What is "forward" when moving?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gyges wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:
When moving along the board, your knife always points forward (until the final move, where you can pick the direction you face). But if you are interrupted, you have to honor your facing. Example: Vasquez


This strikes me as liable to make movement a great deal more cumbersome, as you now have to care about a unit's facing during each of their steps. Can a unit sidestep? Back up? Strafe? What is "forward" when moving?

It only comes into play if someone interrupts. Otherwise, we really don't fuss with it. For instance, if someone moves North 2 spaces, for those two spaces they are facing North. Then, if they turn and go West 3 spaces, they are facing West. In the case of an interruption, we would say "okay, I'm interrupting, and since you were heading North when I interrupted, you have to face North".

We haven't any issue of this slowing things down. If we're going to interrupt, we simply take a moment to note which direction they would have been facing just before the interruption.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Crockett
United States
Bridgewater
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
not going to address the first two, but on the third one, I'm pretty sure RAW, that you target spaces with weapons, and therefore you can target blank spaces with explosives and use splash damage in that fashion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiktor P
Poland
flag msg tools
Aurendrosl wrote:
Gyges wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:
When moving along the board, your knife always points forward (until the final move, where you can pick the direction you face). But if you are interrupted, you have to honor your facing. Example: Vasquez


This strikes me as liable to make movement a great deal more cumbersome, as you now have to care about a unit's facing during each of their steps. Can a unit sidestep? Back up? Strafe? What is "forward" when moving?

It only comes into play if someone interrupts. Otherwise, we really don't fuss with it. For instance, if someone moves North 2 spaces, for those two spaces they are facing North. Then, if they turn and go West 3 spaces, they are facing West. In the case of an interruption, we would say "okay, I'm interrupting, and since you were heading North when I interrupted, you have to face North".

We haven't any issue of this slowing things down. If we're going to interrupt, we simply take a moment to note which direction they would have been facing just before the interruption.


Why your opponent (any figure in play) can't sidestep? In real life you can move backward looking in other direction. So in my opinion facing your figure when your opponent interrupting should be possible.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
VincentPL wrote:
Why your opponent (any figure in play) can't sidestep? In real life you can move backward looking in other direction. So in my opinion facing your figure when your opponent interrupting should be possible.

Yes, it's logical that a person could sidestep or strafe. However, the dueling rules are meant to interrupt a player's action. In other words, if you win a duel, you've caught the active player unaware and now you get to do something. So, that's why we honor the current facing, because it's as if you took a potshot at someone while they were running down the hall.

Obviously, this is a houserule, not something that everyone needs to do. In fact, it really only has an effect in the case of melee attacks. It adds a new layer to the dueling rules because you can really leave yourself vulnerable to melee attacks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:
The first one we're not actually sure if it's a house rule or a normal part of the game (and we just misunderstood the actual rule). When you interrupt for "a unit enters your line of sight", you can interrupt at any point of their movement as long as they remain in your line of sight.


This would have to be a house rule, as it directly contradicts the game rules as well as clarifications Chris has made. The game rules state the the Duel for Interrupt *must* occur at the point the active character first moves into the interrupting characters Line of Sight.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.