Subject: Diagonal attacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am the Barbarian and I am allowed to use 3 combat dice for attacking and then find the lance which gives me 2 attack dice and the ability to attack diagonally, I can still do my 3-dice-attacks if I do not attack diagonally and have to use only 2 dice if I attack diagonally, right? So changing the weapon (standard barbarian weapon and lance) does not cost any movement points?

And another question: I am allowed to attack diagonally through a door?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
No,just before you attack, you decide which weapon to use. When using the (standard) Broadsword, you roll 3 dice against a non-diagonal monster. If you decide to use the Spear, you roll 2 dice against a monster that CAN be diagonally.

We always allowed to make a diagonal attack through doors with a Spear or other weapon capable of attacking diagonally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As for the question of attacking diagonally through a door, it is allowed (no rule against it). However, if your Heroes are "Door Defenders", basically sitting in the door to fight monsters, tell them the door frame is too thick to allow diagonal attacks through a doorway ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
We have never allowed diagonal attacks through a doorway, as the door is less than the width of a square, so there is no line-of-sight between the centres of the two diagonal squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
freduk wrote:
We have never allowed diagonal attacks through a doorway, as the door is less than the width of a square, so there is no line-of-sight between the centres of the two diagonal squares.

But that is a house rule. RAW you can attack diagonally through a door. Nothing preventing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taiwan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 15 of the American rules specifically allow diagonal attacks : "Using diagonal weapons allows more than one Hero to attack a monster blocking a doorway." The Good Rule Of Thumb line of sight example on the same page shows a clear line of sight line drawn diagonally from an Elf blocking a doorway to an Orc on the other side of the door within the room.
A different way to house-rule around door blocking is to allow certain monsters the same diagonal attack. Skeletons with their two-handed scythes make a good candidate. The Gargole looks like it could attack diagonally with its whip and very long sword. Goblins with spears could be found as proxies for the standard Goblins, so they could be given the diagonal attack ability as well.
Finally, the rules as written allow for Zargon to counter door blocking. A monster must move and attack to get at a door-blocker, but should it survive for another Zargon turn then it should attack and then move away from the door-blocker (preferably into an ambush zone with other monsters). This tactic would require the door-blocker to move and attack or otherwise not be able to kill the monster. If the Hero instead wanders away, the monster could pursue for a move and attack. It may be a good idea to not allow zero-Mind-Point monsters to engage in this tactic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmb
freduk wrote:

That directly contradicts page 11 of the UK rule book and page 15 of the US rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.