BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: How to get your kids to take German in school… rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings; Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
I had some Rammstein playing on the computer a while ago and Son #2 (age 9) who is a real bass beat lover was "Wow what language is that? I’m so going to take that in school."

Ok, he has to wait three years before starting on his second language but still.

Son #1 (and everyone else it seems) are taking Spanish. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
You spin me right round, baby - Right round like a record, baby - Right round round round - You spin me right round, baby…
mbmbmbmbmb
A not so good result of this is that I now have a son that runs around school shouting jumbled up German words and phrases. Interesting. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard Mandarin, and also Japanese, is gaining ground as third language in the Swedish educational system below the Uni. Wonder if that's so. That is kind of cool I think, but wouldn't recommend it to the kids. I'd say go for the easiest - Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
lundinandreas wrote:
I heard Mandarin, and also Japanese, is gaining ground as third language in the Swedish educational system below the Uni. Wonder if that's so. That is kind of cool I think, but wouldn't recommend it to the kids. I'd say go for the easiest - Spanish.

Mandarin is definitely the fastest expanding area of language education in the US...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
considering the big amount of kids around 18-20 one tend to meet that are absolutley crazy about anything Japanese it seems quite probable that Japanese is getting more common. However probably as the 3rd language (I have a hard time seeing it in Högstadie age)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if you rate the complexity of the language, Japanese and Mandarin CH are very difficult to learn. And between Spanish and German, at least in an English speaking country, German is "structurally" closer to English, and should be easier to learn than even Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dixon
United States
Mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darn. I was hoping for Heidi Klum in schoolgirl uniform pics...

Diis

[Edited to fix signature. Stupid iPhone autocorrect...]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The neutral evil villain known as
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Ow quit it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
A not so good result of this is that I now have a son that runs around school shouting jumbled up German words and phrases. Interesting. whistle

My son went to school one day and informed the teacher that after dinosaurs came pirates, and then nazis, and then people.

I think it came from watching the old wonderwoman series dvds with his sister... yeah, let's go with that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, how else are they going to learn about Pearl Harbor??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sielaff
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer

Rammstein, eh? Sehr gut. In the furtherance of the lad's interest
in Deutsch, how about some Apocalyptica? "Seeman" with Nena Hagen
comes to mind.

God natt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ferguson
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doomfarer wrote:
I had some Rammstein playing on the computer a while ago and Son #2 (age 9) who is a real bass beat lover was "Wow what language is that? I’m so going to take that in school."

Ok, he has to wait three years before starting on his second language but still.

If kids today were serious about international business, then Mandarin is the language to learn.

If you're doing business in the U.S. Spanish is the obvious choice

If you're in Canada, French if you're looking for Government jobs or anything to do with Quebec, Mandarin if you're working in Toronto or Vancouver.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gatekeeper3000 wrote:
Doomfarer wrote:

If kids today were serious about international business, then Mandarin is the language to learn.

If you're doing business in the U.S. Spanish is the obvious choice

If you're in Canada, French if you're looking for Government jobs or anything to do with Quebec, Mandarin if you're working in Toronto or Vancouver.

Most schools in Sweden (including the school my kids attend) only offer Spanish, French and German. When I was young it was German, French and Russian so who knows, in twenty years time if might be Spanish, Mandarin and Hindu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously there is more reason to spy on spanish countries than Russian talking countries theese days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diis wrote:

Diis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1355091/Heidi-K...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul - the
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sikeospi wrote:
Diis wrote:

Diis

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1355091/Heidi-K...

Awesome! zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
de Bretigny wrote:
Doomfarer

Rammstein, eh? Sehr gut.

Not to my taste I'm afraid.

Krautrock / Kosmische Musik is more my line. Amon Duul, Faust, Can, Cluster, Eloy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.