Subject: Finally finished. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One year, 25 days, and countless spoilers after I started my first Play-by-Post BSG game on BoardGameGeek, I am finally finished with the series. I can blame the delay on my girlfriend, who ostensibly wanted to watch the show, but she didn't want to whenever I asked. Eventually, I decided that when she wanted to get around to it, I could watch it again.

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank the Battlestar Galactica forum community for basically giving me an "in" for this excellent site. I spend a lot of time on BGG, and it's not just waiting for my game to update. (Though maybe it mostly is.) Thanks to everyone I have played with, and especially Matt, who runs a quick and interesting game.

Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

As far as the show goes, I'm not nearly as annoyed with it as popular geekdom was. Some things that may be construed as spoilers follow, and they are awfully vague, but I covered it just to be nice.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
So, religion figured big. I'm not religious, but I coexist fine with it. Starbuck threw me for a loop, but I think her plot was kinda cool. Hera wasn't much more than a bizarre plot device. Where they ended up was interesting, though I really don't believe that the survivors would want to give up everything. The very end with all of the robots was adorable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brillantes
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
This space left intentionally blank.
badge
One last tour here on the Death Star and I can retire. What was that noise?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamethrower49 wrote:
One year, 25 days, and countless spoilers after I started my first Play-by-Post BSG game on BoardGameGeek, I am finally finished with the series. I can blame the delay on my girlfriend, who ostensibly wanted to watch the show, but she didn't want to whenever I asked. Eventually, I decided that when she wanted to get around to it, I could watch it again.

Let me guess...
Whenever you wanted to "watch BSG", she "had a headache".whistle
Typical.

Without adding anything revealing, I do agree with all of your points in your spoiler, particularly about the giving up of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Massively spoilery rant.

Whatever, the ending sucked because the Centurions should have killed everyone in the end, fulfilled the prophecy by setting Balthar and Caprica 6 with the hybrid baby down on Earth at the head of a primitive bunch of humans (think about the practice he got in that arena), and held up a "one more chance" warning finger. The last 10 minutes of the show before that should have just been a montage of the basestar turning on the unprotected fleet, the centurions back on the colonies destroying their "overlord" human models, and the centurions on the final cylon base killing everyone.

Happy endings are never good endings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmbrill77 wrote:
Let me guess...
Whenever you wanted to "watch BSG", she "had a headache".whistle
Typical.

This reminds me of my wife everytime I want to play a boardgame with her ("oh, we'll play tomorrow night." tomorrow night - "I'm sorry, I'm so tired...").

FWIW, I loved the BSG series up until the middle of season 4. Most of the last half of season 4 I wasn't a big fan of, and of the final 3-part episode, I thought part 2 was awesome and part 1 and 3 were kind of sloppy and not believable...

Still, so totally worth the 70 or 80 hours I put into it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Vollick
Canada
St. Thomas
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My feelings on the series pretty much mimic my feelings on the game.

The first part where you have no clue who the cylons are crazy good.

Once everyone knows who the cylons are it definitely drags.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher O
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Summer grasses / All that remains / Of soldiers' dreams. - Basho.
mbmbmbmbmb
BagpipeDan wrote:
Massively spoilery rant.

Whatever, the ending sucked because the Centurions should have killed everyone in the end, fulfilled the prophecy by setting Balthar and Caprica 6 with the hybrid baby down on Earth at the head of a primitive bunch of humans (think about the practice he got in that arena), and held up a "one more chance" warning finger. The last 10 minutes of the show before that should have just been a montage of the basestar turning on the unprotected fleet, the centurions back on the colonies destroying their "overlord" human models, and the centurions on the final cylon base killing everyone.

Happy endings are never good endings.

Not that your proposed ending is bad (actually it would've been pretty good), but if "happy endings are never good endings", you either have a terrible life or you really hate it (or both). I know you probably mean "happy endings in fiction are never good endings," but still...

I prefer bittersweet endings. They always seem the most true-to-life.

To OP: Congrats on finishing the series. I also saw the ending on a two or three month delay. Fortunately I managed to avoid any spoilers until I actually did see it.

Quote:

Excellent summation (though it did drag at times, even when you didn't know).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth H
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can sympathize with the sentiment that a show as dark and heavy as this one should have at least a bittersweet ending, more likely a mostly apocalyptic one. That said, I can appreciate the show for what it was.

That it gave us a game as great as this one is a huge plus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest beef with the end of the series is that
Baltar got off way too easy in the end. He was my favourite character from day one, the one that followed the most interesting arc as the series progressed, and I was looking forward to seeing him finally redeem himself in the end... I just didn't think it would be as easy as picking up a rifle and shooting a few toasters. I mean, he was almost responsible for the death of the human race, twice, so I figured to prove he had really evolved beyond his selfish old self he would have to volunteer for a "certain death" type of situation rather than just a "likely death" one.

That and
Starbuck just disappears into thin air and Apollo seems totally ok with it!

But yeah I'm currently plowing through the series again and remembering how awesome a show it really was, in spite of a few problems with the ending!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, the mid-season-4 ending was awesome! The series should have stopped right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
ninjamatic3000 wrote:
My biggest beef with the end of the series is that
Baltar got off way too easy in the end. He was my favourite character from day one, the one that followed the most interesting arc as the series progressed, and I was looking forward to seeing him finally redeem himself in the end... I just didn't think it would be as easy as picking up a rifle and shooting a few toasters. I mean, he was almost responsible for the death of the human race, twice, so I figured to prove he had really evolved beyond his selfish old self he would have to volunteer for a "certain death" type of situation rather than just a "likely death" one.

Funny you mention that, because I personally thought Baltar was the only character with a decent end to his character arc.

The other ending you mention was BS, Adama's ending was only overshadowed in the 'laughably bad' category by Cavil's on the basestar, and the whole plot meandered a bit into the 'trite' category by the time the actually reached their destination. They took an epic story and reduced it to a blase bit of moralizing on technology. Many say the religious aspect was too much - I disagree; it was a tacked on, nonsensical bit to give Ron Moore a chance to beat us over the head with his point at the end of the series. It was merely a plot device by the time the series ended, completely un-integrated into the story and used as a deus ex machina when convenient, and forgotten when inconvenient.

If you can't tell, I really, really hated how quickly and completely the show went downhill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Wong
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
Actually, the mid-season-4 ending was awesome! The series should have stopped right there.

And it might have stopped there if the writers' strike ran longer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy G
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Mold the chaos into something beautiful
mbmbmbmbmb
We are currently watching it for the 2nd time, just a couple episodes into Season 4. I definitely remember the downhill feeling it will take, but so far it has been just as good as the first time. I actually don't remember much about the ending, except feeling very disappointed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Kozure wrote:
Not that your proposed ending is bad (actually it would've been pretty good), but if "happy endings are never good endings", you either have a terrible life or you really hate it (or both). I know you probably mean "happy endings in fiction are never good endings," but still...

I don't want sad endings, necessarily (my rant aside), but definitely bitter-sweet. The problem is that the desire to present a "happy" ending usually ends up disregarding (and thus trivializing) all the trials and disasters of the whole show (and the longer the series, the more to trivialize).

With BSG, though, I really just wanted

the oppressed centurions to rise to their glory; when the 6's led the charge to their freedom, I totally thought this was the direction they were heading.

But really, I didn't hate the ending, and the show was good even past its few drags (I agree, much like the game!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
MattShinners wrote:
If you can't tell, I really, really hated how quickly and completely the show went downhill.

I'll say it again: nothing solves that problem like "everybody dies and the centurions win!" It was the only thing that could have saved it at that point!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vollick1979 wrote:

For some of our games, people spend waaay too much time trying figure out who the cylons are. In gneeral, there is less uncertainty once all of the cylons are known (as you'd also need to consider what someone will do if they end up revealing.)

To me, BSG can simply drag overall. Sometimes in the beginning, too much time is also spent on how to make moves. At the very least, BSG has both mechanics and the element of what side people are on. OTOH, I stopped playing games like Werewolf/Mafia b/c you're trying to determine who the "cylons" are by the way people blink, if they shaved their facial hair/leg hairs, or use something you know about the person as a tell. That's it. And our gmaes go longer than what's average, so that's one situation where I feel I'm NOT interrupting flow of game if I play games on my Ipod Touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ending wasn't great but rewatching the show still is.

I tried to watch Lost again and just couldn't...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW has anyone been happy with the way any show has ended? Not counting those movies that 'end it' better?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Berger
United States
Round Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
BTW has anyone been happy with the way any show has ended? Not counting those movies that 'end it' better?

Does it count that I'm way happier about how it actually ended than I would have been with any of the so-called "better" endings proposed in this thread?
I think that if they'd really done the genocide ending, everyone would think it was a giant waste of 4 years. I would have, at least. What kind of story is that? "Humans were almost wiped out by cylons. Some of them survived and fled, and then were wiped out by cylons." Really?

That's also how I felt about No Country For Old Men... except that only felt like 4 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only part I didn't really like was...

The flash forward part...

Also... REALLY?? No one wanted to keep technology? Or take their chances with the cylons!

Maybe it could have been better if the cylons forced them and then flew off! lol Still I love the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4th season was the worst one? 2nd half of the 4th season wasn't too good? The ending was awful? TV shows, video games, books, board games, music, movies, etc. are hardly indicative of how something else of a franchise will turn out.... I simply hope this isn't an omen of how the 3rd expansion will turn out soblue

arkayn wrote:
Danath wrote:

Does it count that I'm way happier about how it actually ended than I would have been with any of the so-called "better" endings proposed in this thread?
I think that if they'd really done the genocide ending, everyone would think it was a giant waste of 4 years. I would have, at least. What kind of story is that? "Humans were almost wiped out by cylons. Some of them survived and fled, and then were wiped out by cylons." Really?

That's also how I felt about No Country For Old Men... except that only felt like 4 years.

I actually liked the ending..... then again, my taste in TV and movies aren't quite "siskal & Ebert & Roper sophisticated". Perhaps some of the people I know could've gotten a PhD in film/TV/whatever and made a nice living out of critiquing and reviewing media entertainment.

Given the ending, I secretly hope.....
... any of the following would happen:

1a) ... that since Star Trek happens 151,000 years later, the crew of the Enterprise whatever-letter goes through a temporal vortex thing and encounters the crew of the Battlestar Galactica.....

1b) Or, they're able to prevent the cylon assault on the Colonies, and now the crew of the Enterprise have to spend 2 episodes restoring the timeline so that Star Fleet headquarters will be on Earth instead (San Fransesco no less).

2a) Many years later, future man finds the original 12 Colonies from the BSG series, and perhaps still find the descendants of the survivors of the cylon attack... those who weren't able survive the cylon occupation.

2b) find the race of centurions that given their freedom long before. THEN they can wipe out humanity and fulfill the prophecy : p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Chav
United States
Taylorsville
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW...

What's the news on Blood and Chrome now days???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:

The Office had a great ending. The Wire's ending was a little too clever in its symmetry, but mostly a good wrap-up (if depressing). Generation Kill ended just fine.

Shows that are pre-plotted end well. BSG, at the end, felt like it was being written about two shows in advance, and the end really suffered for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
The flash forward part...

Also... REALLY?? No one wanted to keep technology? Or take their chances with the cylons!

They covered those....
They wanted to start fresh without technology. You'd think they'd keep a razor blade for shaving, or a mirror. Perhaps firearms and explosives would be too much...... they'd need to set up workshops or factories to produce the components for those. Plus, I believe it was mentioned they wanted to fit in with the locals. You don't fit in with ancient humanity by brandishing "boom sticks" and "flying horses".

I guess the whole order with the cylons and creating them and things turning out the way they did simply did a number on them is all. A shame that all the modern fun they had with computers, mass transit, raves, clubs, and such won't be available again for another 150K years, but I suppose that could've been humanity's real punishment.

As for the cylons, they considered the fact that they may return and attack them, but Adama mentioned it's a chance they'll have to take.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
swheelock wrote:
Danath wrote:

The Office had a great ending. The Wire's ending was a little too clever in its symmetry, but mostly a good wrap-up (if depressing). Generation Kill ended just fine.

Shows that are pre-plotted end well. BSG, at the end, felt like it was being written about two shows in advance, and the end really suffered for it.
The office is done? But I'm seeing an 8th season coming this Oct., unless you were referring to the UK or European one.

The first season of 24 was written all the way up to its 12th episode. After that, the writers admited they just "winged it" from there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Danath wrote:
BTW...

What's the news on Blood and Chrome now days???

It might become a web series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.