Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody K
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mb
My copy of HQ/UK came today so I set it up and played The Trial with my girlfriend as all 4 players and me as the evil guy.

Now, my reading of the rule book was that for the first quest, it's before the spells/traps/treasure section, and so none of those were to be used. She could still Attack 1 with the Wizard, and search for treasure in any chests she found though. Also, The Trial UK doesn't specify the victory conditions, so I made it that she had to kill the Gargoyle (and not just see it and run, and not necessarily find his Tomb). Finally, remember the UK version monsters only have 1 HP each.

She cautiously moved her forces into the first corridor, and her wizard lost a point after being attacked by a goblin. After killing it, she stepped over its corpse into the first room, and second room, taking on some firmirs on the way (and taking a few more hit points herself). She continued on towards the centre of the board, at which time I took my remaining firmir and moved him craftily to block the exit door to the stairs, so it would have to be dealt with later ;-)

She then split her teams into two forces, one opening doors on the left side, and her wizard and elf on the right side. Big mistake. A couple goblins and skeletons started eating at her Barbarian and Dwarf, which wouldn't have been too bad, if not at that same moment she opened the door to the gargoyle and a bunch of chaos warriors in the middle of the board.

Her stupid elf was the first to fall, followed by her cowardly wizard. Meanwhile her dwarf and barbarian rushed back to help, and his mighty sword quickly destroyed two of the chaos warriors and the gargoyle. Now it was just a matter of escaping...

I started closing in on the barbarian from all sides with the firmir watching the exit door, a stupid goblin, and one remaining chaos warrior. The barbarian tried to run, and valiantly took down the chaos warrior, but one poor dice roll later, he was just a decomposing grease spot on the ground. Leaving just the dwarf, who encountered another hapless goblin and took it out with a quick swing of the axe.

I was rushing back to attack the dwarf with a skeleton and my last remaining firmir, but that damned dwarf got to the exit stairs just in time and escaped. She "won", but with a hefty life toll of 1-3 :-P My work as an evil guy was done.

I was really worried about her playing the game with all 4 heroes and the monsters as-is (only 1 HP), I mean they're so weak, and it'll just get worse as she learns a couple tactics (doing one room at a time), and gets spells and treasures in the next quest. I don't know if it will be too easy. We've kind of decided to go with it as-is for the moment and see how the first few games turn out. I don't want to overpower the evil guy. At the same time, it's fun to "win" on the death count, even if she escapes the dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
badge
Gloom of Kilforth reprint Kickstarter Sept 29-Oct 31
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing The Maze with those rules sounds fair, but The Trial is pretty hard for what it is - well done to her! If you're playing the UK rules her quests are pretty much only going to get easier from now on... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmb
Objection! I like the UK rules. And heroes CAN die while attempting to complete quests. When playing US rules heroes WILL die, that's the difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody K
Australia
Perth
WA
flag msg tools
mb
Another thing I've noticed is that because the UK rule book says to put the monster cards behind the screen, the player doesn't necessarily know how strong each of the foes are (hitpoints aside, knowing the exact defence and attack die count can make a huge different in regards to tactics).

I decided to not let her know specifically how many die there were, though I did roll the dice out in the open so she could pick it up herself if she wanted to. And if she asked me, I might tell.

It's really disappointing to play an old game, and realise that as there's not that many people playing it anymore (especially using the edition rules that YOU have, i.e. US/UK), and because product support from the designers/company are long gone, there's nobody to really consult for the right rules.

I prefer official rules because I assume the game was playtested with them and is balanced by them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Graham
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always preferred the Maze as a first quest. Trial throws all the different monster types at you at first level. Best to build up a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.