United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
If an enemy is spotted by one of my units can all my units target it?

For example: the enemy has a unit in a forest hex which has not acted at all yet this turn. I have a unit in an adjacent hex. My adjacent unit can target the enemy, because it's adjacent, but can my other units attack, or do they need to spot?

Another example: the enemy has a unit (which has not acted yet this turn) in a clear hex with a bocage along one side. I have a unit (A) who can draw LOS to the enemy without crossing the bocage, and another unit (B) who's LOS crosses the bocage. Clearly unit A can attack the enemy without spotting, but can unit B?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it!

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos S. Olivares Pérez
Spain
Vigo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a hex is Spotted, it is considered Spotted for all units.

According to 14.32: A firing unit under an Acquiring marker does NOT need to spot a target with the same-lettered Acquisition marker.

So, this hex with the Acquiring marker is spotted for the firing unit. Consequently, this hex is Spotted for all units.

Is this right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltan Grose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa. I was just flipping through these questions and I have some doubts about the 2 posts above.

"A firing unit under an Acquiring marker does NOT need to spot a target with the same-lettered Acquisition marker."

does not equal (IMO)

"A hex contain a unit with an Acquisition marker is Spotted."

If they are meant to be synonymous, why the "firing unit" and "same-lettered Acquisition marker" clauses? The A-acquiring firer doesn't need to spot the unit under the A-acquired target but someone else might is how I understand the intent of 14.32.

Otherwise is just a needlessly long version of "Hexes with Acquisition markers are Spotted."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltan Grose
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
>>Once a hex is spotted by any unit, all friendly units have spotted the hex, including those without LOS (pg. 11, 6th Para, v3.1).

Agreed, but the hex is not Spotted, the firing unit (and only the firing unit) is exempted from the requirement to spot the acquired target. Spotted hexes have a Spotted marker, after all.

>>but then you'll have an exception to the "must spot to Fire" paradigm and create other questions.

Well yes, it (14.32) is the exception to the previous rule. IMO, its even written as an exception "... does NOT need to spot (10.1) ..."

I'll take a stab as I don't believe any of these are showstoppers:

>Can the Squad carrying the Ordnance (Bazooka/RPG) Fire using it's inherent FP on the hex without spotting it?

Its still the "firing unit" and the target is still the one with the Acquisition marker, so that seems OK.

>If the squad carrying the Ordnance, with the Acquisition marker, attempts to spot the target hex and fails, can they still Fire on the hex?

Same answer as the first.

>Can a Leader stacked with the Squad apply his Leadership modifier to the To-Hit roll (as he has not "spotted" the hex)?

I don't see Leadership requiring LOS or Spotting explicitly in 5.01, but one could certainly see how it would be an unforeseen edge case. 14.32 was not in the original rules after all.

----

I just don't see how a rule that says unit X is exempted from a requirement can be broadened to say all units are exempted without errata (COWTRA principle) along the lines of what I proposed above:

14.32 Hexes containing an Acquisition marker are automatically Spotted.

(edit) some clarity improvements

(followup)

I note that you lose acquisition if you "switch targets" so I believe in your first two queries it matters what you're shooting at in the attack because I note you used the word 'hex' and I believe you were doing so intentionally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.