Nundo Bolas
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Hello, quick question.

I played adventure 2 last night with a friend who just bought the game.
This is how we played:

Walk to edge of tile, put tile, draw card from "monster" deck and put that one monster on the tile.

It was very easy.. too easy, actually.

Question1; What is that stack of Monster tokens for? (cardboard, not card)

Question2; Is there no line of sight at all?

Question3; ~ In Scenario 2, it says "recover" the Icon of Ravenloft. Does this mean the hero with the icon needs to exit the dungeon? (This is what we did, but who knows what "recover" means.) The booklet merely says: "defeat the monsters in that room, and recover" for victory.

~ whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the PDF rulebook, they've updated a few minor things that clarify a lot in the game. One of which is that many tokens in the game are not used except in specific adventures, one of which being the Monster Tokens. They're used in Adventure 7, um, the one with the Hag, and one other I think (can't remember off hand). For all the others, just leave them in the box.

As for "recover", just clear monsters. Done and done. It's assuming that if you cleared the monsters in that room, you were able to "recover" the Icon and get out. Most of the adventures do not have the heroes escape, just kill the baddie at the end.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Question 1: As our own variant, our group actually started using those Monster Tokens for every scenario. We've enjoyed that extra tension of uncertainty when drawing a token since the room could be populated with up to 3 Monsters. Of course, drawing a "0 Monsters" token can be a huge relief, hehe. The stack of tokens can easily be modified to make the dungeon easier or harder depending of the ratios of the tokens used.
(I'll also note that Ninjadorg has compiled a pretty sweet campaign system that includes a way to tailor the Monster Token stack based on the level of your party members)

Question 2: Nope, no line of sight -- except for the simple fact that two tiles with a complete solid wall between them are not adjacent. The designer of the game was kind enough to chime in with his explanation in this thread

"Yup, it was a conscious decision to avoid a complex line of sight system. Line of sight determination can be a real drag on the speed of the game. I admit the flavor of archers curving shots feels off. I imagine the archer leaps out, fires a shot, and then ducks back under cover."

Question 3: I agree with Shnar in that as per the rules themselves, you simply need to acquire the Icon to win the scenario. That being said, our group has always played it that we need to escape the dungeon with the item. Makes more thematic sense that way, and we've enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, i've also switched from drawing a monster card, to drawing a monster token. And most of the times, we get rid of the "0 monsters" and even added some villains in to the mix. XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
This "using the monster tokens" is mind boggling, considering how many times I die in Ravenloft just sticking to the standard rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.