Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard Gottlieb of the Global Toy News blog, which focuses on the mass market toy industry, invited me to write a few guest posts about the intersection of video and boardgames. The result is When Games Explode, a 3-part series about how video games and board games have evolved along very similar trajectories and what that implies about the future of our hobby.

The first article, which was posted last week, covers the history of digital games. It's pretty tame but the series will get more controversial as it goes on. In Part II, released today, I overlay what I've done in Part I with a history of board and card games (and yes, I end up referring to Hasbro as a cannibal child - all apologies to Mike Gray & co). I'll conclude the third article (to be released next week?) with some surprising predictions about where I think the board and card game industry is headed.

The whole point is to challenge some assumptions at the mass market level and generate some healthy discussion. If you'd like to get involved, I'll be answering questions on the blog. Come on over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavan Brown
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Part 1 was great Rob, looking forward to the complete trilogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.