Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

if someone is interested, starting from Saturday 17 c.m., in Italy VAT changed from 20% to 21% cry cry

Roberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here in Iceland the VAT is 25,5%... which makes ordering games a rather depressing experience.

We have to pay 10% customs tax, 25,5% VAT, and a $5 package fee to the postal service... After all that (and ridiculous shipping fees), it's still cheaper than the game stores in Reykjavik. Fun times

anywho, ciao tutti!!1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
25,5%??!! this hurt a lot ...

I don't know in your country but in Italy you pay the VAT not only for the item but for the shipment as well!

Roberto

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, first the item plus shipping is added together, then 10% customs fee is added to that, then 25,5% VAT on top of THE WHOLE THING... then the $5 postage fee... it's ridiculous

a $40 game from the US will cost me around 100-120 dollars, depending on the shipping

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rsitaly wrote:
Hello,

if someone is interested, starting from Saturday 17 c.m., in Italy VAT changed from 20% to 21% cry cry

Roberto

So if someone sends you a game..do you still have to pay that? I mean if a nice american sends it to you not a business?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
murksofus wrote:
Here in Iceland the VAT is 25,5%... which makes ordering games a rather depressing experience.

We have to pay 10% customs tax, 25,5% VAT, and a $5 package fee to the postal service... After all that (and ridiculous shipping fees), it's still cheaper than the game stores in Reykjavik. Fun times

Probably because your FLGS has to pay those same fees to get it into their store (minus the VAT, which they get from you and which I'm sure is more than what you pay on the shipment from mainland Europe or North America)...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Damn...that is really shitty!

So, I guess the government in Italy is like the one in America....not capable of using the "taxes" it gets wisely!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Silva
Italy
CARPI (MO)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oscal wrote:
rsitaly wrote:
Hello,

Roberto

So if someone sends you a game..do you still have to pay that? I mean if a nice american sends it to you not a business?

For our custom, stating an item as "gift" or without a value, it is not legal; so you have to state $1 as a value also if the item is a real gift.
If you do that, normally the custom doesn't request the import fees, but if they want, they can apply the lower import fees that are 5.16 EURO.

Few days ago I received a game from GMT and they forgot the invoice ... all the games I have received from GMT in the past had the invoice.
The custom phoned me, asking for a receipt of the payment or, if an Internet transaction, the copy of the email stating the payment.
GMT sent me a copy of the invoice and I forwarded it to the custom.
Without that invoice, the game couldn't be imported!

BTW, if you are a company or a store or a private that sells something, it is against USA laws to declare the item as a gift or without a value.

I have seen that our custom check almost every package sent with USPS PRIORITY MAIL, but they check only very few packages sent with USPS FIRST CLASS MAIL INTERNATIONAL.

To give you an idea ... years ago I bought a game for $300 and I paid 54 EURO as import fees ... I'm still crying!!

Roberto
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yuglooc wrote:
murksofus wrote:

Probably because your FLGS has to pay those same fees to get it into their store (minus the VAT, which they get from you and which I'm sure is more than what you pay on the shipment from mainland Europe or North America)...

Yeah but they should have much lower shipping fees plus being able to buy from wholesalers...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Paul
Iceland
Reykjavik
None
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oscal wrote:
rsitaly wrote:
Hello,

Roberto

Here in Iceland we're not allowed to receive "gifts" other than on our birthday or at christmas, and we have to prove that it's a gift and that we know that person. Also, if we finally prove that it's a gift, it can't be over $80, or we have to pay customs/vat on the rest. Shitty deal.

Customs here never accept $0 or even $5 or something, they demand to know how much shipping was plus the real cost of the item, then they charge customs fees + vat for that amount.

An example, I bought a Kindle off Amazon a few months ago, it was 10% customs, 25% extra customs, then 25,5% vat on top of the whole thing, which meant it ended up costing almost double. I told them to go f*** themselves and ship it back. Thank god Amazon refunded me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.