Melody B
msg tools
I have one hitpoint and am poisoned. Healing surge states that you should use it at the beginning of your turn if you have 0 hit points. Poisoned says to take 1 hit at the start of your hero phase. So the question is, do you get to use the healing surge after the poison has reduced you to 0 hp (even though you started your turn with 1 hp)?
If not, I assume the hero does not get an attack (since he is 0 hp at the start of hero phase). Is it correct to assume that a hero with 0 hp still has an encounter, and still plays their monsters?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt, the Active Hero decides.

Having said that, I think there is an entry in the FAQ (could be wrong) that says healing surges is applied before anything else on a hero's turn. So if you have 1 HP and are Poisoned, your turn starts (too late to apply surge), then check for Poison.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 8 of the Rulebook under "Condition: Poisoned"

"If your Hero is Poisoned, he or she takes 1 damage at the beginning of your Hero Phase. Take this damage before using any Treasure Cards and before checking to see if you must spend a Healing Surge."

So yeah, in your case, the Poison will defeat your Hero, then you'd spend a Healing Surge to pop him back up and take his turn as normal. Keep in mind that you're still Poisoned (unfortunately), and can still roll to get rid of it at the end of your Hero Phase.

If your Hero becomes 'downed' during your Hero Phase for some reason, then your Villain Phase will still take place, and your Monsters will activate, ignoring you since you're at 0 HP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody B
msg tools
Thanks! That makes sense now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:
Page 8 of the Rulebook under "Condition: Poisoned"

"If your Hero is Poisoned, he or she takes 1 damage at the beginning of your Hero Phase. Take this damage before using any Treasure Cards and before checking to see if you must spend a Healing Surge."

So yeah, in your case, the Poison will defeat your Hero, then you'd spend a Healing Surge to pop him back up and take his turn as normal. Keep in mind that you're still Poisoned (unfortunately), and can still roll to get rid of it at the end of your Hero Phase.

If your Hero becomes 'downed' during your Hero Phase for some reason, then your Villain Phase will still take place, and your Monsters will activate, ignoring you since you're at 0 HP.

In that case, if you are already at 0 HP and poinsoned before your turn comes around you will take the healing surge and not be affected by poison this round.
Cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yea somehow i missed reading it like this, we always did:
1 hp left - start of turn: dead - next turn: healing surge, then 1 damage from poison.

So Ive been doing it wrong this whole time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eirikr wrote:

In that case, if you are already at 0 HP and poinsoned before your turn comes around you will take the healing surge and not be affected by poison this round.
Cool.

Of course, the downside to this situation is that if you're Poisoned with 1 HP left and no Healing Surges left, then your character will immediately die at the start of your next turn, and since you're out of Surges, you'll lose the game. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have no Surges and you're poisoned with 1 HP left you're done regardless of the timing so that's not really relevant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Howard
United States
Marina del Rey
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's relevant because if you (incorrectly) take the poison damage after you check for Healing Surges, then your Hero simply passes out, and play continues around the table until your next turn. Then you'd see that you have no remaining Healing Surges, and would lose the game at that point. A lot can happen in a full turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true!
In fact I'm pretty sure this has come up for me and I've played it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
We "house rule" this one in that Healing Surges get rid of poison, and are used AFTER you hit zero and fall unconscious. Less like a potion and more like a Resurrection Scroll. Its one of the little things we have changed to make the game less frustrating and more fun. We usually play with a 7 year old, so we keep the game fast and loose. We also usually ditch encounters as soon as we discover the Chamber and the Boss.
Despite all this, we still sometimes lose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody B
msg tools
Thats an interesting idea to ditch encounters after discovering chamber or boss. I have also been playing with younger players, and they have a tendency to get angry or sad when too many things are not going well. I've been trying to think of ways to make it easier, but still keep it so that if we actually do win an adventure we don't feel like we've cheated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François V.
France
Meudon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GeckoTH wrote:

Of course, the downside to this situation is that if you're Poisoned with 1 HP left and no Healing Surges left, then your character will immediately die at the start of your next turn, and since you're out of Surges, you'll lose the game. :gulp:

Well you have a full turn around the table to either win the game by fulfilling the victory condition or to have a healer heal you, by giving you back HP or removing the Poisoned condition...

The thing is not to avoid being Poisoned, but just to know WHEN it is acceptable to take that risk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Insane Warrior
msg tools
I also play with my two boys 8 and 10 who become despondent when things aren't going well.

Our house rule is encounters are on for a round, then off for a round. Still lose sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.