Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some games and game ideas I come across every now an again that always get me to wondering why they aren't used more. I am wondering if there are others that people wonder about. This idea came came up in another thread about "things you take camping", and almost each time it comes up, someone will chime in about taking the mobile set of Hive. And I agree, it's the "one" game that you can take camping and it's almost indestructible. But it's a simple idea one would think would get more attention, and yet, really hasn't. I even keep this game in my backpack for when I do go camping. It's in there right now.

So, any ideas you would like to see more of?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be down for some more plastic/bakelite games. ZÈRTZ, besides the need to have a flat surface, is another game you can take anywhere. Also, I think most Nestor Games are designed with portability and durability in mind.

Me, I'd like to see designers use plastic playing cards. I know they're more expensive, but c'mon. They're waterproof, they're much more resistant to scuffing and damage, they shuffle like a dream, and you don't have to sleeve them. My wife and I love card-based games (we have a lot of them, too). I'd pay a king's ransom for plastic card versions of Warhammer Invasion, Race, Innovation, Dominion, Thunderstone, Arcana, etc. etc. etc.

This is less of a design choice and more of a game mechanic: I'm surprised more boardgames don't use the rondel. Finca is the example I'd point to. It's simple, it's dynamic, and it breaks up the doldrums of same ol' resource gathering found in most Euros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Games that don't require a flat table surface. Like for a beach or picnic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Richards
Scotland
Allanton
Duns
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games you can eat in an emergency. Which also results in more sales. Win, win!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:
Perhaps you're not aware of this, but BGGers would immediately accuse the designers of trying to grub for money.

shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DuckOfDeath V
United States
Hillsboro
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aurendrosl wrote:

This is less of a design choice and more of a game mechanic: I'm surprised more boardgames don't use the rondel. Finca is the example I'd point to. It's simple, it's dynamic, and it breaks up the doldrums of same ol' resource gathering found in most Euros.

What is the rondel?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCormick
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Tasteless Brute
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeC0 wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:

What is the rondel?

This is Finca's rondel. Basically, it's a little circle with some different options, but in the case of Finca, it's a worker-placement mechanic where your farmers travel around the rondel and gather resources that way. It's what makes Finca an utterly unique game, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The most successful American game of all time is Monopoly. One key feature it uses is direct trading between players.

The most successful German game of all time is probably Die Siedler von Catan. One key feature it uses is direct trading between players.

Despite that, direct trading between players is not that common. Yes, I know people can list lots of games with it in. I'll even mention a couple more myself. But there are many, many, more that don't. Note that I'm regarding trading between players as the key feature, not indirect via a market. For something with two such dominant success cases, I'm surprised it's not copied more often, particularly as (in my opinion) it appears to be a major part of the success of those two games.

Two other cases. Direct trading is also a key feature of Civilization, the game that inspired a whole sub-genre of games. Most of which don't use trading. And before Uwe Rosenberg produced Agricola, he was best known for Bohnanza which has direct trading between players (though more constrained than the other examples I've quoted).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe McDaid
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mb
I've got a game I'm working on right now that is kinda like RftG, but has a heavy aspect of trading in it. It was kinda of the design goal of it. The first phase is a trade phase, to use other people's cards you have to trade them, to level up the cards you have to trade cards designed only to be traded, etc.

Have a look in the Game designer forums.
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/684242/windfall-galaxy-updat...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hinchliffe
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oeste wrote:
Dearlove wrote:
The most successful American game of all time is Monopoly. One key feature it uses is direct trading between players.

The most successful German game of all time is probably Die Siedler von Catan. One key feature it uses is direct trading between players.

Despite that, direct trading between players is not that common.
I absolutely love board games that have strategic mechanics like worker placement or resource management right along side mechanics that require good interactive skills like player reading or negotiation. With that said, you must be as aware as I am that the stereotype for gamers are people who highly lack those interactive skills. I personally have played with a lot of gamers who hate any gameplay component which requires them to play the players as well as the game because people aren't formulaic. In other words, I agree with you, but am not surprised by the lack of titles that require both strategic and interpersonal skills.

Agreed. I'm in sales, so I ADORE games that allow me to use soft skills to get ahead (possibly why I am extremely good at Settlers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
So, any ideas you would like to see more of?

The plastic templates from Deep Space Navigator just seem to have such potential to me. They compress some complex math into a compact form, and are physically compact as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Konior
Australia
Swan View
WA
flag msg tools
mb
EASY!!!!

The furniture from HeroQuest. Cripes, how many games have come out since then in dungeons or castles where there's a metric tonne of tokens and cardboard and plastic stands and figures, but no simple mechanic where cardboard is inserted into plastic to make 3D furniture, doors, and walls :-(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randatollah
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:

Despite that, direct trading between players is not that common. Yes, I know people can list lots of games with it in. I'll even mention a couple more myself. But there are many, many, more that don't. Note that I'm regarding trading between players as the key feature, not indirect via a market. For something with two such dominant success cases, I'm surprised it's not copied more often, particularly as (in my opinion) it appears to be a major part of the success of those two games.

This is exactly what I wanted to post! Just this past weekend, we pulled out Settlers for the first time in awhile, and I was blown away by how much fun the trading was. Yet when I go looking for another game with trading in it, the list is very sparse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:

... taking the mobile set of Hive. And I agree, it's the "one" game that you can take camping and it's almost indestructible. But it's a simple idea one would think would get more attention, and yet, really hasn't.

There are a lot more games like this. At least one publisher (nestorgames) has specialized on games to take with you and play everywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Miller
Wales
Swansea
Neath Port Talbot
flag msg tools
badge
I iz a soot sprite.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:

Really Wild Bug Eating Party
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

Cloth Boards. I would love more cloth boards. GW's new naval game will have one. I want it pretty bad. I made one for Yinsh so it could be as portable as my copy of Hive. A little cloth bag holds the cloth board and the pieces.

Uncle Chestnut's Table Gype whistle

I'll second portability.

Also, using classic mechanics in more advanced games. Wild Pirates uses trick-taking as a movement mechanic for a roll-and-move. CribbGolf uses cribbage to play golf. What about cribbage and maybe a worker placement or dungeon crawl experience?

Actually, I'd just settle for NOT having so many games that borrow mechanics from other currently-popular games. Deck-building for instance. I like the mechanic, but don't like the flood of games using it after Dominion's success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ed_the_Red wrote:

http://www.cheez-it.com/product-detail.aspx?product=24531
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeC0 wrote:
Aurendrosl wrote:

What is the rondel?

The best, and underutilized, mechanic in gaming, in my opinion. Show me a game with a rondel and it's either owned or under strong consideration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.