Hide
5 Posts

Warhammer Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Need a Good Dungeon Crawler rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Purple Octopus
msg tools
I've always been in the market for good dungeon crawlers. Something about having an adaptive, ever expanding playing piece that requires new strategies and choices each time you play seems fantastic to me. I really enjoy Descent, have played Dungeon Plungin' a number of times, and even picked up Castle Ravenloft, although Ravenloft needed some housebrewing before it became an actual 'game', rather than just rolling dice and seeing what happened to you.

I think that's what I've come to define a game as - something where you are required to make important, tactical decisions that determine whether or not you succeed. Ravenloft didn't have that, so we fixed it so it did.

I love Warhammer. I think it's a fun, gritty, dark setting which just drips with theme and character. And I'd be willing to fork over cash for a copy of the game, so long as I knew that the mechanics were solid - which is where you guys come in!

What do you think of the mechanics of the game? Do you find yourself making important decisions, or do you typically just roll a chart and see whatever has happened to you?

Thanks for your time!

- Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Littlemonk
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Young Forest Warrior
badge
Samurai trained to die with honor. Ninja trained to kill others. Shao-Lin trained to live forever!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:
I've always been in the market for good dungeon crawlers. Something about having an adaptive, ever expanding playing piece that requires new strategies and choices each time you play seems fantastic to me. I really enjoy Descent, have played Dungeon Plungin' a number of times, and even picked up Castle Ravenloft, although Ravenloft needed some housebrewing before it became an actual 'game', rather than just rolling dice and seeing what happened to you.

I think that's what I've come to define a game as - something where you are required to make important, tactical decisions that determine whether or not you succeed. Ravenloft didn't have that, so we fixed it so it did.

I love Warhammer. I think it's a fun, gritty, dark setting which just drips with theme and character. And I'd be willing to fork over cash for a copy of the game, so long as I knew that the mechanics were solid - which is where you guys come in!

What do you think of the mechanics of the game? Do you find yourself making important decisions, or do you typically just roll a chart and see whatever has happened to you?

Thanks for your time!

- Alex

This is definitely NOT your game. Tactical and important decisions are not a part of WHQ unless you are playing with a Gamemaster (DM).

The isn't a dungeon crawl, but a dungeon bash. Lots of dice, lots of chance, lots of tables, lots of predetermined outcomes.

You'd be looking at having to housebrew many aspects of this game if you wanted strategy and tactics. WHQ involves very little of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The base game is great. No GM needed, pure co-op adventuring.
The mechanics are pretty good. theres a couple of ambiguities that the more cheating-inclines players may opt to exploit. But in general it plays fairly straightforward.

There is not a great deal of tactics involved though. The system has the monsters jump you usually right there and your in the thick of it the moment you step into a room and draw an encounter or the wizard botches a power roll.

One of the great things about the game is that its intended to make near total use of any Warhammer Fantasy Battle units you have on hand. Though you need the article from one of the White Dwarf magazines to get the full use of that for any units not in the secondary RP book. Though you'll oft see on the BGG someone harping on how you *NEEEEEEED* every single creature listed in the book. Ignore them and use what you have or can lay hands on.

Is it worth the often huge prices currently it goes for? Thet is really a totally subjective thing. The system might click for you. Or it might fall flat.

The GM-less RPG side of the game in the secondary book though can be *VERY* problematic depending on personal views. The system is interesting. But it near totally removes controll of events from the players hands in a totally random order of what might happen. You might meet a beggar and hand off a chunk of your hard earned gold, you might enter a tavern and decide to get a tattoo. You might help a merchant only to be accused of robbery and end up on the run. etc. And thats just walking into a town to do a little shopping!

It is Warhammer though so it is somewhat expected to be a liiiitle harsh. Ok... so the game is a-lot harsh... ow...

I wont get into the GMed RPG section of the game as it ammounts to basically being told to "Make stuff up" and really, if you want a straight up RPG then theres lots cheaper to be had and infinitely better at it. Like the original Warhammer Fantasy RPG.

Lastly theres been a few free P-n-P tries at this. Though to-date 75% seem more like just elaborate versions of Heroquest or Advanced Heroquest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultros64 wrote:

I think this is an awkward question to answer in the context. I think dungeon crawlers in general aren't usually about choice. In comparison to even a light Euro, WQ comes across as having a very limited option set each round.

All that said, I think the game is great. I find the choices that our party tend to make fall into two broad categories. Firstly, resource management. The are tons of one-use, or once-per-adventure items that you collect, and during any moderately challenging battle there's going to be a question of what items to use, if any, in a given situation, while later keeping you able to respond to the rest of the dungeon's threats. Secondly, there's immediate threat mangement. It can be tricky for most warrior to move about while in battle, but if you can succeed, it can make a huge difference to the overall threat caused by monsters on a given round. Attempting to step into a gap caused by another warrior so that you can screen a weaker member (especially the wizard, who keeps most parties alive), can cause a big swing in one's fortunes during an encounter. Though at lower levels, almost none of the types of warriors you can play are very good at tanking, so putting one's body in harm's way for another can easily backfire if done with too much abandon.

When I am deep in a game, it seems like there's a lot of choice there. Fact is though, compared to most of my games, there's only a modest amount of really important decision making done during play. Still, that never really seems to matter to me. Whether it would matter to you or not, I can't say. Given the cost of buying the game these days, I would recommend PnPing a game up first and trying it out before you invest in the real thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmb
Stay away from WHQ and try Allied HeroQuest, you won't be disapointed (since you like Descent).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.