Popular Tags: [View All]
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We've been selling our first game on thegamecrafter.com for the last few weeks to limited success, many views / few sales. I know that some of the other contributors to these forums sell on TGC as well and I was looking for some feedback on how you've been able to turn those views into sales.
Much appreciated,
Levi Mote
www.bonsaigames.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that Kevin Lanzing wasn't able to get a lot of sales via gamecrafter, but he was able to create enough positive buzz about the game that a publisher picked up his design: Flash Point: Fire Rescue

If you are selling an RPG, I'm not sure how much of this applies, but my general advice would be:
- Have a BGG game page (and link to it in any post, like this one), and fill in all relevant details (including voting on number of players, language dependence, and weight)
- Make the rules available online (and link to them from the BGG game page)
- Get copies of the game into the hands of some willing but objective reviewers (ideally big-name reviewers, but any objective review is better than none)
- Post a few Sessions threads yourself, if nobody else is
- Always have a copy available for sale in the BGG marketplace
- Put a copy up for trade in every relevant math trade
- Mention it in relevant recommendations threads, BUT only if it really is a good recommendation based on what the person asked for, and be sure to disclose your relationship to the game. Only recommend it in that thread if you would do so even if you weren't the designer. Seriously.

None of that will make your game a success, but to me it's all kind of the minimum you should do to improve your odds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Levi Mote
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback Kevin.

The game on TGC is our Infinite Power Expandable Card Game, (link at the end of the post). Its based in the same universe as our RPG. This game is on the list to get a BGG page approved. The rules are available online at our website. We've had one video review of the game so far and we're working to get more.

I will be working towards the other suggestions you've made.

I believe that our game will win people over once we get it into their hands, our hope is to host some Convention demos in the coming year as well.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/infinite-power-ecg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've seen some designers put copies of their game in the monthly G4GG lotteries:

Games for Geekgold September 2011 - Let's Celebrate

Something else that seems to generate a lot of interest in new games is the sponsored contests that BGG has. Not sure if what the stipulations are for designers/publishers wanting to sponsor a contest, but the BGG admins will no doubt fill you in on the details:

White Goblin Games Essen 2011 Contest!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Allison
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
looking at the game crafter for the first time, it took me a minute to find games, I had to goto the community and click posts, pretty cool site
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.