Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is untested, but it seems reasonable:

You can win by collecting 5 different-colored gems, any 7 gems, or several same-colored gems. But the number of same-colored gems required to win depends on the color:

2 red
3 blue
4 white
5 yellow
6 purple

{Edit: as pointed out by Skyodo, should be 4 yellow and 5 white instead.}

5 rainbow
7 any

This should solve the problem that it is too easy to win by collecting 4 purple (or yellow), and encourage collecting reds and blues in an interesting way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Shouldn't white and yellow be switched?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steve s
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mb
2 reds gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
I like it. Shouldn't white and yellow be switched?

Of course. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Paquet
Canada
Thetford Mines
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan wrote:
This is untested, but it seems reasonable:

This should solve the problem that it is too easy to win by collecting 4 purple (or yellow), and encourage collecting reds and blues in an interesting way.

Alan,

That's an interesting idea, but I haven't encoutered this problem when I was playing. Collecting 4 of a kind is not an easy task, even for purple or white gems. Make sure you're playing with 7 gems of each color. The 8th gem is a spare one.

Personnally, I use 6 gems of each color when playing with 3 players, 7 gems with 4 players and all 8 gems with 5 players. I find the game more balanced that way.

- Eric -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many players play with the correct rules, yet 4-same wins are common, especially in games with fewer players. For some groups, 4-purple (and 4-white) wins dominate the game.

4-same wins can be blocked if players defend against it by grabbing the purple and white gems first, but especially with inexperienced players, they often allow a 4-purple (or white) win easily.

Of course, if your group feels that the game is fine as-is, there is no need to change anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
We have tried this variant a few times now. I think the original rules are fine, but what the heck, the game is quick.

Observations:

Getting 6 of 7 purple jewels is impossible. I suggest that you at least add the 8th purple jewel, or maybe even 9 purples and 8 whites. I am sure it could be mathematically worked out as to the prime number, if one wanted to carry it that far.

It turns some players into daredevils going for the red and blue jewels. Great fun.

All in all I like it. It really takes nothing away from the core game, and may actually add a bit more flexibility to the strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sky Knight X wrote:
Getting 6 of 7 purple jewels is impossible.

Well, I know that and it is intended. It's no more impossible than getting 4 red or 4 blue in the original rules.

IMO there is no need to reward a player who collects purple or white gems, because they're easy to get, and there's nothing to lose by collecting them since they can easily contribute to the 7-count victory condition.

Quote:
It turns some players into daredevils going for the red and blue jewels. Great fun.

That's the main intent of the variant.

Quote:
All in all I like it. It really takes nothing away from the core game, and may actually add a bit more flexibility to the strategy.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An alternative variant is to...
burn the game but keep the transparent discs as they make excellent Mickey-Mouse-going-invisible-ears. This game sucks like a Dyson. I bought it and was nearly lynched by my gaming buddies when we played it. They nearly lynched me again the second time and again the third time. The fourth time, I nearly lynched myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THERE WILL BE NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS IN THIS THREAD. ONLY HAPPY ELF-LIKE THOUGHTS ABOUT FLOWERS AND BUNNIES WHERE WE ALL SPREAD PLATITUDES,AND REMEMBER, I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE THINKING...
BrentCase wrote:
and the people who post comments like this are well aware of this.

Lighten up Brent, it's only a game and it's only a silly point of view! Besides, I did say that the disks were good...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brent and I have made up after our little spat and would like to announce our immediate engagement. This will come as something of a shock to both my Girlfriend and Brent's wife (not to mention my 2 daughter's and Brent's son and daughter)
I have apologised to Brent privately but think it would be nice to do it publicly as well, sorry mate. No malice intended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
(It's still true about Mickey-Mouse's invisible ears though...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
variant sounds pretty good. I only played twice so far, but I did not notice 4-of-a-kind being particularly easy to getm even when it was purple or white gems.

In fact, in my second game, I specifically aimed to get 4x white gems (purple was 'too close' since I'd sped up the river), and I did win by getting a 4th White gem... but I also had 3 other gems (so 7 gem victory). I happened to do a really good job of screwing up my opponents that game and they had very few gems between them. On one play I could have sent them both over the falls, but I wasn't thinking about that.

My point is, that even when specifically targetting white gems only, I won by getting my 7th gem, not just my 4th white gem.

- Seth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.