Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Sommer
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm 40 years old, and I have ALWAYS sucked at chess. I know how the pieces move, but I have no understanding of openings or the proper strategies to actually play somewhat decent chess.

Are there ANY iOS apps that will actually help TRAIN the user in chess strategy? Anything that specifically offers a tutorial that goes beyond movement rules?

Perhaps I should post this in the chess forums?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The one I play the most is by Gameloft. I think it is called "Chess Classics" and it also includes Backgammon in the same game. The chess engine is very good, and you can play through quizzes and classic grandmaster games with commentary to learn some strategic tips. It's really an excellent program.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chess-classics/id283576232?uo...

I'd also recommend reading some books on chess...even the simple ones like Chess for Dummies will get you along way towards understanding the basic strategies and tactics of the game. This book is widely considered to be one of the most accessible chess books: http://www.amazon.com/How-Reassess-Your-Chess-Fourth/dp/1890...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The chess.com app will give you tactics problems, which is a great way to learn about strategy. Only a limited number of problems per day unless you upgrade your account to a pay account. For me it was worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.