Popular Tags: [View All]
Benny Sperling
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I received Jump Gate from Matt by being a lucky follower chosen on twitter. I recommend following Matt, @MattWordenGames he is entertaining. But this connection aside, I do think Jump Gate is a good game. My wife called it simple and fun. Keep in min she loves complex and challenging games.

We sat down with our buddy Donnie to play Jump Gate. Donnie had played it previously so he got to teach it. With Jump Gate you are space ship captains responsible for scanning, claiming and collecting from various planets in the galaxy. The collected items are used for scoring at the end and each item has a different scoring mechanism.

We spent a great deal of the early game jumping and flying to different planets. The specials were largely ignored except for Hot Shot Pilot and Lost Records. The game plays quite smoothly with 3. It played from 2 to 6. I worry that with 5 or 6 it would end very quickly or you would have substantial downtime with the AP players.

The mid game saw us claiming and harvesting from more planets. Jax lucked out and managed to collect a lot of gems early on, but also placed a handful of chips in the black hole. Donnie spent the game flying from planet to planet and I made as many jumps as possible.

I managed to end up with an equal number of chips on the Jump Gate as Jax and used Lost Records to bump one of her's off as my final action. She followed this with a jump and harvested the last non-black hole card on the board. Scoring followed with me leading in Water, Donnie leading in Famous Finds and Jax having the most Gems. Donnie pulled out the win. I could see where picking up black hole items would have helped me more, but I was going on the theory that I didn't want any chips in the Black hole. Jax had the most in there and that cost her the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.