Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Goudie
United States
Lake View Terrace
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife absolutely loves Macao (the only game she ever requests!) and I had a crazy idea to use ArtsCow to make her an umbrella with the Macao windrose on it.

This turned out to be much more difficult than I first imagined...due to the way the ArtsCow umbrella works and the Macao art itself.

First of all, the Macao windrose has only 7 sides and the umbrella needs 8. I used Photoshop and dropped an octagon with lines through it onto the background to use as my guide. I then skewed each individual triangle to fit into the new octagon shape. I added an eighth triangle and put the Macao logo in it. Each section lining up isn't important since I will be zooming in to each triangle portion.

If ArtsCow allowed me to drop the image into the center I would have been fine. But apparently I needed to create each of the 8 sections separately and then zoom and rotate as needed.

Problems with preparing for the full bleed left me with the possibility of each stem of the windrose either overlapping or having gaps. Also, an umbrella isn't quite using triangle shapes inside the hexagon.

Lastly, I noticed the center circle gets fouled up when adding the eighth side. The angles are all wrong so I had to photoshop my own center circle.

This final version is the best I could come up with and I think it might still look cool despite the weirdness of the look from directly above. But maybe this will inspire some other fool with better Photoshop and/or ArtsCow skills to improve upon my idea.

http://www.artscow.com/gallery/umbrella/macao1-oszf6u61v0lc

[Edit for typos. 9/19]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is pretty cool!

I must admit I didn't know that ArtsCow prints umbrellas and I hope your wife likes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Liakhovich
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool! You should have used more contrast on the Macao logo however (I would go with the same color as the arrow).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Goudie
United States
Lake View Terrace
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

Finally got around to posting the results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rrgoudie wrote:

Looks awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.