Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stefan Koller
United States
Lousville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As you may or may not know, Martin Wallace has re-designed Struggle of Empires for a reprint that's coming out later this year. The game is to be published as "Zeitalter der Vernunft" ("Age of Reason") by Uli Blennemann's imprint spielworxxx.

A couple of days ago, Blennemann put the rules online and for free. The link is here:

http://www.spielworxx.de/app/download/5418017763/ZdV_Regel_D...

The rules are thus far available in German only. Blennemann promised that an English translation will follow. (Remaining game components are language neutral.)

A very quick perusal of the rules showed that Wallace hasn't done as drastic re-designs of the core elements as he did when Rise of Empires came out, a game often (and, arguably, unfairly) compared to Struggle (I prefer to think of these as two rather different games, each good in their own right).
E.g., in Struggle 2.0, combat is still influenced by a 2d6 die roll, the usual modifiers apply. And thank god Wallace kept the alliance system - of players buying and bidding their way into one of two alliances at every turn start - which I think is one of the - if not the - game's most brilliant element.
I mention these two because these were two things Wallace left out in the transition from Struggle to Rise.

In any case, peruse the rules, share your thoughts, or simply wait for the English translation which should go online at one point at the bottom of this page: http://www.spielworxx.de/downloads/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That links me to the rules for Washington's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct link:

http://www.spielworxx.de/app/download/5418017763/ZdV_Regel_D...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Koller
United States
Lousville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
That links me to the rules for Washington's War.

Thanks, I corrected the link.

By the way, I've started on an English translation already, to serve curious BGG readers until Blennemann releases a better (and authoritative!) version.

Here's what I got so far. Tune back later this week when I got time to do more...

---

Contents
1.0 Introduction
2.0 Game Components
3.0 Preparing Play
4.0 Play Sequence
5.0 Game End
6.0 The Action Squares

1.0 Introduction

Age of Reason
immerses 3-7 players in the latter half of the 18th century. As regents of Great Britain, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Prussia, Austria, and Russia the players attempt to expand their power in Europe and (at the same time) to found colonial empires in the Americas, Africa, and India. By itself, no single nation will reach its goals. That’s why players enter (shifting) alliances and hope to attain their goals with the aid of these alliances.

Note:
You can play this game with two players, without the need to modify the rules in any way. However, we recommend you play it with more than two players.

2.0 Game Components

Every Age of Reason game contains
• 1 large game board (consisting of two parts)
• 175 wooden control discs (25 per nation)
• 77 nation cards (one set per nation, consisting of 10 influence cards and 1 alliance card)
• 65 power control markers (9 for the German nations, 5 for the Baltic Sea, 6 Central Europe, 6 Mediterranean, 4 Ottoman Empire, 3 Africa, 7 India, 6 East India, 6 North America, 7 Carribean, 6 South American)
• 87 gold coins (65 coins at value 1, 22 coins at value 5)
• 1 turn marker
• 1 action turn marker
• 6 dice (in two colors)
• 1 non-transparent cloth bag
• several zip bags to store components
• 1 rule book

2.1 The game board

The game board encompasses Europe, America (North America, Carribean, South America), a part of Africa, India, and 'East India'.
The seven player controlled nations (Great Britain, the Netherlands, France, Spain, Prussia, Austria, and Russia) are all located in Europe.
Other regions in Europe which (initially) don’t belong to any player consist of the Baltic, the German nations, the Ottoman Empire, and the Mediterranean. All of these regions display (next to their names) three victory point numbers (of which more below). The Baltic and Mediterranean regions also display a ship symbol to emphasize that players have to play cards with a ship symbol to implement effects in this region.

Important Note: The German nations and the Ottoman Empire display a coastal region, but you don’t need to play cards with ship symbols here (although you may of course play them).
All remaining regions on the game board are called ‘colonies’. The colonies consist of the three American regions (North America, Carribean, South America) and, at one region each, Africa, India, and East India (one region each). All of these regions display a ship symbol. Colonial regions always display two victory point numbers.

The bottom half of the game board contains the action fields, separated into three areas: progress, support, and trade.
In addition the game board contains the turn track, the action turn track, the alliance display, the victory point track, and the dissatisfaction display.

[insert image of game board; number entries on image vertically, then proceed to the right:
1 4 6 9
2 5 7 10
3 8 ]

1 Victory Point Track
2 Turn Track Display
3 Dissatisfaction Display
4 Ship Symbol
5 Ship Points (2 numbered values)
6 Action Turn track
7 Ship Symbol
8 Alliance Display
9 Victory Points
10 Action Fields

2.2 National control markers

Every nation owns 25 colored control discs. 1 disc each is to be used for the alliance display, the victory point track, and the dissatisfaction display. The remaining 22 discs track abstractly the presence and prowess of a nation in a region and display a nation’s progress, support, and trade partners.
Distrsibution of Color: France is blue, GB is red, Netherlands are orange, Prussia is black, Russia green, Austria white, and Spain is yellow.
Note: the 22 discs to be distributed on the game board represent an absolute limit. No player may voluntarily remove an already placed disc from one place on the board to place it elsewhere on the board.

2.3 The nation cards
Every nation owns a set of cards. The individual sets of cards differ from nation to nation. For instance, GB owns more ships than Prussia, which in turn is more of a land power.
Every nation owns an Alliance Card - see 4.3.2. The remaining 10 cards are used in play when a country is in battle. These cards display the cost in gold (pieces) for playing the card, as well as the symbol of the soldier and the ship (not that all cards display the latter, sc. ships).
Note: Every nation owns one blank card, the primary use of which is to bluff.

2.4 Power marker

Age of Reason contains 65 power markers. When [any of] these are pulled from the cloth bag, they are placed in the corresponding region printed onto them; see 3.0 and 4.1.

2.5 Gold
The game contains gold pieces at 2 values: 1 and 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It may be better to put those details under

Age of Reason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like Martin has done away with all the tiles from the original. I'm not sure I'd like it without them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Koller
United States
Lousville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Full English rules are online now!

http://www.spielworxx.de/app/download/5442842463/Zeitalter_d...

(cross posted at the game's own entry)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sosa
United States
Newark
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I will break him.
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks like a different game from Struggle of Empires. The asymmetry is inherent to each power rather than determined by tile selection. Likely to make the game shorter, I'd like to try it but I won't be getting rid of my copy of Struggle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Martin seems to have done another game tweak like he did with Brass -> Age of Industry. Age of Reason resembles Struggle but perhaps even more than in the former case this looks like a very different game. Maybe a decent game as well, but hardly Struggle 2.0. I expect it should get its own listing on the Geek (as did Age of Industry).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.