Popular Tags: [View All]
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Imagine the unthinkable happened and your entire board game collection was destroyed. If you only has $150 dollars to replace all those lost games what games would you buy? Ideally each collection posted should contain a reasonable amount of flexibility (eg. number of players, time, weight, variety of mechanics etc).

If I lost my collection I think I'd purchase:

Cleopatra: Society of Architects ($20) - Plays 3-5 players, excellent game components, involves a variety of mechanics including bidding and set collecting. I also can't say no to a game in which one player is fed to the crocodiles at the very end.

7 Wonders
(30$): Plays 2-7. Fast paced filler with enough strategy to stay interesting but with a decent price tag and fast playing time.

Shadow Hunters ($20): Plays 4-8. Shadow hunters is one of the best games I've played for a large number of players. Turns are always quick and even when eliminated players can still win the game.

Bohnanza (10$): Plays 2-7. I haven't had the opportunity to play Bohnanza yet but it would definitely be one I'd pick up should my collection bite the dust. Bohnaza is incredibly cheap, has a great theme, plays a good variety of player numbers, and continues to be played 10 years after coming out.

Clue: The Great Museum Caper (30$): Plays 2-4. Clue has been out of print for some time now but it was one of the most enjoyable games I played as a kid. The game combines push your luck with secret deployment in one of the most unique games I've ever played.

Giants ($20): Plays 3-5 players. A decent game that recently has come down in price from 50 to 20 at a few locations (I got my copy from Toys For Thought). Amazingly good components, fun, and easy to understand.

Aton($20): Plays 2. One of the best 2 player abstract strategies I have played.

Based on the games in the collection I'd have:
4 games for 2 players
5 games for 3 players
6 games for 4 players
5 games for 5 players
3 games for 6 players
3 games for 7 players
1 game for 8 players

(Updated to add Giants in place of Tigris and Euphrades)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Taking into account everyone's post so far (as of Sept 19th) the most popular games for rebuilding your collection are as follows:

Top Games

7 Votes: Resistance and Game Components (Dice/Deck of Cards)
4 Votes: Race for the Galaxy and Tichu
3 Votes: Bohnanza, Glory to Rome, Jaipur, Stone Age
2 Votes: Agricola, ASL, Battle Star Galactica, Brass, Chaos in the Old World, Citadels, Coloretto, Decket, Dominant Species, Earth Reborn, London, No Thanks, Pickomino, Piecepack, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride
1 Votes: approximately 60 misc games

Honorable Mention: Bottle of chloroform and a rag

Note for the sake of counting I've lumped in the variety of versions of games like Ticket to Ride, Dominion etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
Link me to new T&E for $20? I'll buy it right now!

Good list I agree with but if you swap out Resistance for Shadow Hunters, you get 9 and 10 players covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I was looking at Euphrades and Tigris rather than Tigris and Euphrades . At 40$ I don't think it would make my list. Resistance is an alright game. Not my favorite but you are right that it really expands the number of players you can do. Saboteur is another game I'd consider even though it's fallen flat a few times. Now that I think about it, Dixit deserves honorable mention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolland Tent
Sweden
Ljungby
Kronoberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. tigris and Euphrates-20$
2. Rage or Sticheln-8$ (you can play 25 difefrent card games ex :Tichu, Lexio, Schotten Totten)
3. La Havre-60$
4.36 dices to play Perudo and a few other dice games-20$
5. ASL-starting kit 1-2-3 to 150$

Pretty much gaming for a couple of dollars...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Glory to Rome ($16.99, CSI)
Agricola ($44.99, CSI)
Ra: the Dice Game ($19.99 CSI)
London ($39.99 at CSI)
$121.96, minus discount, with free shipping $117.08

Utopian Rummy and Decktet, $8.99 each with free shipping, ArtsCow
Thrifted copy of Can't Stop $3.00
Deck of cards $3.00

and the rest for thrifting and playing/trading thrifted games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Hoy
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely forgot about Glory to Rome. Definitely another game that deserves at least a place on the honorable mentions or better. What is Utopian Rummy like? I have been perpetually tempted by the game but never quite got around to placing an artscow order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Earth Reborn ($60)
Arkham Horror ($40)

The remaining $50 will be spent on chloroform and some rags, so I can acquire both StarCraft and Space Hulk 3rd edition from a generous ex-owner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lordbukka wrote:
I completely forgot about Glory to Rome. Definitely another game that deserves at least a place on the honorable mentions or better. What is Utopian Rummy like? I have been perpetually tempted by the game but never quite got around to placing an artscow order.

Like a quick and simple Glory to Rome, in a way - you build sets in front of you that give you special powers. You can research/think to draw cards or take cards that are face up. There's minimal direct attacking, but you're always watching to see what your opponent builds, how many cards they have, whether they're going to get bonus points for your cards, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going the all bang-for-your-buck card game route:

Glory to Rome
Jaipur (or maybe Jambo)
Haggis
Summoner Wars: Master Set (my big splurge)
Circus Flohcati (our favorite family game)
Coloretto
Frank's Zoo (another family favorite)
Race for the Galaxy
Tichu
Wyatt Earp

10 games for $147.75 at CSI (with discount)

With the leftover $2.25, I see if indigopotter can pick me up copy of Can't Stop when she gets hers (after I ask her if I can have 75 cents).

I mostly play with my family, so I end up with a nice variety of games I can play with just my wife, my wife and kids, just me and the kids, or if we have another couple over for games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkat wrote:
With the leftover $2.25, I see if indigopotter can pick me up copy of Can't Stop when she gets hers (after I ask her if I can have 75 cents).

I mostly play with my family, so I end up with a nice variety of games I can play with just my wife, my wife and kids, just me and the kids, or if we have another couple over for games.

I would be happy to, but there are a lot of thrifters who are much closer to you who would probably be a better source.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn George
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Open your eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm definitely more of a social gamer, so I prefer games that are somewhat lighter and more teachable. So for me, it would have to be (all prices based on Boards & Bits):

Bohnanza: $11.97 - Extremely teachable set collection game that plays with up to 7 (but as few as 2 in a pinch) and is loved by all I introduce it to.

Ticket to Ride: Europe: $33.33 - Good, meaty, but still easy-to-teach game that I can play with 2-5.

Dominion: Intrigue: $26.97 - Dominion would last my wife and I quite a while, and it plays great with 4 as it does with 2. Intrigue has a lot more interesting cards than the base set, so that's what we're going with.

The Resistance: $12.96 - Recently purchased this one, but haven't had a chance to play it yet. Based on reviews and the rules though, it should be a fantastic game to play with up to 10.

Forbidden Island: $12.58 - Super cheap 4-player co-op with beautiful artwork. Would be remiss to leave this one off the list.

No Thanks!: $6.00 - Fun, quick little filler. I could do without this one though, and in fact, a deck of cards would likely provide better value if I had to only choose one.

Say Anything - $17.49 - Although I have a couple games on the list already that play well with a lot of players, I still need a true "party game". I definitely think of North Star Games whenever I'm looking for a party game. And at this price, Say Anything is the obvious choice.

Stone Age - $26.97 - Probably the "heaviest" game I own, but my wife and I found it extremely enjoyable. This is a good choice for when we want to invest an hour or two into a game.

Total: $148.27

Doesn't really leave any wiggle room for tax, but close enough I suppose. I could drop No Thanks and that would bring me pretty much right on target.

Going off of the OP's model, out of the 8 games I listed, I could play:

5 games with 2 players
6 games with 3 players
7 games with 4 players
5 games with 5 players
3 games with 6-7 players
2 games with 8 players
1 game with 9-10 players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great thread.

I'm cheating and including prices at what I found the games for, not necessarily if I had to find them all right now. Sue me.

Chaos in the Old World ($25 ding and dent from MiniMarket) - Just bought this last week and haven't even played it yet. I'm that damn bold to put it in this list.

Earth Reborn ($45 from CSI) - My favorite game, unlimited replayability (especially with my home homebrewed campaign system).

Dominion ($20 ding and dent from MM) - Nothing to be said.

The Resistance ($18 from CSI) - Awesome game, cheaper than including BSG even if I love it so.

Tough choice for the last one. I'd really like CoH: Awakening the Bear but can't afford it.

I guess I will go with Merchants and Marauders ($35).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If my collection was destroyed, it would be considered so apocalyptic that, upon failing to recover from the shock, I would donate the $150 to a good cause and become a hermit. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Teller
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd like to see someone attempt this list using MSRP....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools

Sigh...

Games here average $60 - $70 each, and that's from the cheapest dealers and with our dollar being worth more than yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think this covers a lot of bases

dixit $23 Creative, party, plays up to 6
caylus 36 Deep worker placement
jaipur 17 solid approachable 2p game
brass 39 deep economic game. maybe age of steam
no thanks 8 3-5p quick filler, liked by non gamers
race for the galaxy 23 fun and tricky card game
Two decks of cards 2 DIY games and traditional ones
Pens and paper 2 For Eat Poop You Cat etc.
Total $150 (coolstuffinc prices)

The main reservation I have with this list is that dixit and rftg both play better with an expansion. Also it doesn't have an area control or dice game, so Alien Frontiers would be next, maybe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
Link me to new T&E for $20? I'll buy it right now!

Same here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

Sigh...

Games here average $60 - $70 each, and that's from the cheapest dealers and with our dollar being worth more than yours.

the poor guy can't even afford an avatar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
JasonJ0 wrote:

Sigh...

Yes, but your toilets flush backwards!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill August
United States
Carlisle
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be bold because CiTOW is awesome. You need to play it right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
150 bucks wouldn't make a down payment in replacing my WotR:CE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Innovation, 2-4 players ($18)
(I wouldn't bother with the expansion.)

Settlers of Catan, 3-6 players ($33.50)
+ Cities & Knights ($33.50)
+ 5-6 player expansion ($16)
+ 5-6 player expansion for C&K ($16)

Battlestar Galactica ($32.50)
(I do not need the expansions. It is a great game on its own.)

This is tough, because I would need another $100 before I was really happy with my collection. Lacking a Party Game, my next purchase would the The Resistance, followed by Conquest of Planet Earth, then Carson City.

But as for this $150 set... The core of this collection is Settlers of Catan. It is the most versatile game in my collection. I can play this with just about anybody. The base game is easy to teach new players or people new to gaming. With the C&K expansion, however, it is a more complex game for more serious gamers. This is where my first $100 goes.

Battlestar Galactica is a 2-4 player co-op, but with lots of interaction. It is a fun adventure-style game with each player leading one character, giving it a more thematic and cinematic feel than either of the two other games.

Catan has trading and Battlestar Galactica has intrigue. Innovation has more indirect interaction by comparison. Unlike the other two games, it is also great with 2 players. It is portable, covers 2-5 players, and is relatively easy to learn and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garcian Smith
United States
Northridge
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, people here sure have good prices!

Have to go with:

Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game - theme game
Ticket to Ride - casual game
The Resistance - casual large game
Race for the Galaxy - replay game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Mmmmmm. Good question.

Steam 35€
---> Expansions: 30€
Bang! The Bullet 30€
Intrigue 13€

Those are the games that wold give me the most cash/plays ratio until I can get more money.

The rest of my collection is far more limited in scope and doesn't see as many plays. Arkham needs to be planned in advance and so sees little play while Automobile, Chicago Express and Liberté can wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start with this list.

And than with the 150 $ left I´d pick

Brass: Lancashire (as the heavyest)
Topology (best with 2)
Stone Age (for up to 4)
Pickomino (filler for more players)
Team Work Original (for lager groups)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.