Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had played a VERY LITTLE of GoW2 and it was too much for me. Since then I've played RE5 (I know, I know, SO below Gow level,) but ti got me really enjoying the coop shooter experience.

Flash forward to a few weeks ago when I got this boardgame. I REALLY like it and hope to play more very soon.

Now I've gone and preordered GoW3 for same day release knowing full well I am going to enjoy it this time 'round.

Damn you, FFG!...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Melbourne
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I need to preorder it... no idea why I haven't

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We'd played through GoW1 twice I think with my friend, partially through GoW2. He mentioned when we played GoW on Sunday that he was hoping to get GoW3 next week, possibly we'll give it a go next weekend. Since I don't own a 360 and we can still play the games on his workplace's 360, I went the other route with spending my money, specifically the GoW books blush .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N Burghardt
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
We played GoW tbg for the first time this weekend. I was concerned, since the three of us generally play stuff more strategic, but we all enjoyed the game and would play it again. It actually has quite a bit of strategy if you want to optimize your turn to be as efficient and as effective as possible. The variety of the actions available on the cards adds some nice challenge to figuring out your best options. Also, I had the guy that can move an extra area during his turn, which further opened the options available to me.

The AI Locust cards are great and add some needed variety to the actions of the enemies. This is something I wish Castle Ravenloft would have done instead.

Clever game for all of its simplicity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We never played any GoW VG, but after getting this board game, we were excited to try the computer game when it came out. Just heard the news when we tried to get it: No PC version. surprise

But, did'nt they "start" the series on the PC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i don't know if originally it was designed for PC...but GOW1 initially was an xbox 360 game, with the PC version coming out later with additional content. I'm surprised they never released GOW2 on the PC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:

But, did'nt they "start" the series on the PC?

Nope.

My son and I are huge Gears fans. We've played and beat both games coop from start to finish. We have played tons and tons of multiplayer all modes, both online and off. My son has been saving his allowance to buy the Epic edition since it was announced. He wanted the collectibles, I just wanted the game which I would off been buying regardless, so I told him I'll pay the $60 and the tax, if he saves for the rest of the stuff. I'm buying him the retro lancer as a birthday gift. My son also is buying the collectors editions guide book. Also buying an extra copy of the game, so we can play on 2 full screens versus split screen. So all in all I'll be spending north of $350 tonight at midnight on Gears 3 stuff. It will be my first midnight launch of anything, but I'm doing for my son so when he wakes up in the AM he can see what he has been saving for for so long. Sounds like a lot of money, but I'd pay 10x that for all the hours of enjoyment my son and I have had together in this game both video and now board game version.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lj1983 wrote:
i don't know if originally it was designed for PC...but GOW1 initially was an xbox 360 game, with the PC version coming out later with additional content. I'm surprised they never released GOW2 on the PC

Piracy. Killing PC games. And now the casuals are taking a chunk of flesh as well. Its a bummer, but sign of the times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"I'm doing for my son" laugh

Son's. The best way to get huge game purchases past a wife.

All we have is 2 cats, it just does'nt work as well. . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You would think. Doesn't work much for me at least not with this. Buying 2 copies of some games was a line she just didn't like us crossing. I mitigate it by usually paying for one of those games with all trade dollars. Waiting for the right deals at Gamestop pays huge dividends on games you no longer wish to keep.

Midnight launch... I've officially jumped the line with her... and reached some level of something she isn't comfortable with... oh well, maybe she'll understand when she sees how excited our son will be in the AM. Maybe she thinks I'm doing it for myself, but at 40 I'm too old for midnight launches and they didn't exist in my younger days. I won't be touching the game until my son is home from school tomorrow and all his homework is finished. So she'll know its not just some excuse either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nburghardt wrote:
...This is something I wish Castle Ravenloft would have done instead...

One of my first thoughts playing this is that the system would rock as a fantasy themed dungeon crawl as well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Pffft, that's nothing.

After FFG announced this game I went out and brought a Xbox360 plus GoW 1 and 2 just so I could understand the lore prior to the board game's release. So this game cost me an extra $420 Australian (and I haven't even got the boardgame yet).

I really love the video games. Since I'm new to Xbox I had a rule where I wasn't going to buy any games that weren't on discount (since there are so many 'classic' games I need to catch up on, why spend full price?) but I may break down and get GoW3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Pffft, that's nothing.

After FFG announced this game I went out and brought a Xbox360 plus GoW 1 and 2 just so I could understand the lore prior to the board game's release. So this game cost me an extra $420 Australian (and I haven't even got the boardgame yet).

I really love the video games. Since I'm new to Xbox I had a rule where I wasn't going to buy any games that weren't on discount (since there are so many 'classic' games I need to catch up on, why spend full price?) but I may break down and get GoW3.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not! If not then GM me your gamertag...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
goalie4hire wrote:
I need to preorder it... no idea why I haven't

If you can order off Amazon before midnight, you get a pre-order bonus of $20 credit towards a future video game purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, in order to play with 2 people, since there is no PC version now, I have to buy 2 Xbox's?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. You can play split screen on one...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Paladin

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Split screen? Is'nt that about as fun as playing two boardgames at the same table. . . . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Titeman wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Pffft, that's nothing.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not! If not then GM me your gamertag...

My gamer tag is ELBARSTARDO I think (Mr skeletor was already taken!) I haven't got Xbox live gold yet though, keep putting it off but once I clock GOW2 for the second time I'll get it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Berlin
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Titeman wrote:
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Pffft, that's nothing.

My gamer tag is ELBARSTARDO I think (Mr skeletor was already taken!) I haven't got Xbox live gold yet though, keep putting it off but once I clock GOW2 for the second time I'll get it.

now i know why i have to make more money

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Purple Paladin wrote:
Split screen? Is'nt that about as fun as playing two boardgames at the same table. . . . . .

Split screen is stellar in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kolman
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
Titeman wrote:
I had played a VERY LITTLE of GoW2 and it was too much for me. Since then I've played RE5 (I know, I know, SO below Gow level,) but ti got me really enjoying the coop shooter experience.

Flash forward to a few weeks ago when I got this boardgame. I REALLY like it and hope to play more very soon.

Now I've gone and preordered GoW3 for same day release knowing full well I am going to enjoy it this time 'round.

Damn you, FFG!...

I tried the RE games many years ago (Code Veronica) and just couldn't get into the control scheme. I then got RE4 for the Wii and that was pretty cool, but again, I didn't like certain things about the game. Then one day, I traded in some games and snagged a copy of RE5...holy crap! That game is bad ass! Even though the "run and gun" is still missing (which I prefer), for some strange reason, I got used to the controls fairly quickly and ended up beating the game. Gotta say that RE5 was a very enjoyable experience.

As for GoW3, got it on release day but didn't play it. I wanted to start at GoW1 and work my way through the series again. They say GoW3 is a lot bigger in the SP game (I don't play online) than any of the others, who knows though. Either way, I am looking forward to playing soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Horn
United States
Coeur d Alene
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RE4 "fixed" the controls of the RE series for the modern gamer. There are really no differences between controls of RE4 and RE5. The main differences besides of course RE5 being newer and all the things that come with that is that RE5 introduced the coop. RE was never meant to be and I hope never becomes a pure FPS. If you like one of them, I would be surprised if you didn't like the other.

I haven't beaten the GoW3 campaign yet, so can't comment on its length. However, I thought it was important to note that if GoW3 is longer compared to others in the series, that doesn't mean GoW1 or GoW2 were short by any stretch. I know this wasn't being implied, but thought it was worth mentioning to anyone completely unfamiliar with GoW and maybe experiencing it for the first time after being exposed to the board game but were familiar to other games in the genre. If you are only familiar with the crap super short 5-10 hour campaigns of games like Call of Duty and its various clones don't think that is what you get in any GoW games. GoW is as much about the story and the campaign as it is about multiplayer. The campaigns in all GoW games take you for a long great ride. In terms of comparing to other games coming out these days and the extremely short campaigns, if indeed GoW3 campaign is as long as or longer than GoW1 or GoW2, that is some serious bang for $60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.