Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » General

Subject: Guns and Tanks Firing Smoke rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how a Gun or Tank goes about firing Smoke into a target hex and what happens if they miss the targeted hex, does the Smoke end up in a different hex (direction and distance)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing happens; the smoke round has entered an alternate reality and appears instead on someone's Combat Commander map, summoned by a Random Event.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now tell him what happens to HE near misses...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Speelman
United States
Wolverine Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Always disagreed with this. If INF fail their smoke roll it's easy to say they just didn't have enough handy at the moment or they didn't place enough properly to make adequate coverage. But if a mortar fires smoke and misses it should land somewhere! Right?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:
Always disagreed with this. If INF fail their smoke roll it's easy to say they just didn't have enough handy at the moment or they didn't place enough properly to make adequate coverage. But if a mortar fires smoke and misses it should land somewhere! Right?!?

Mortar smoke is not just a single bomb but a full barrage. If that barrage is widely scattered, you don't get a game-effective smoke screen. Or maybe the gunner and loader are arguing about the aiming point when they should be shooting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joshua the Gamer wrote:

Switch to the Combat Mission computer game and this problem will go away...you'll trade it for other problems, but this one will go away. Hell, in the current CMBN, you can even take casualties from non-WP smoke shells (anyone want to volunteer to catch one - ouch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I guess you roll To Hit (taking into considerations any DRM) and if you hit (provided you don't roll > Depletion #) the smoke if placed in the targeted hex, but if you miss it's ignored, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct, yes. The game ignores 'missed' smoke rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Scientist Philip von Doomula
United States
Orono
ME
flag msg tools
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
badge
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are wooden cubes from boardgaming. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think of it so much as a miss. Really the roll is an abstract representation. If you miss your die roll really it could represent something like firing a dude or going off course. It's easy to think of ASL in literal terms but sometimes you have to remember it is only an abstraction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:
So I guess you roll To Hit (taking into considerations any DRM) and if you hit (provided you don't roll > Depletion #) the smoke if placed in the targeted hex, but if you miss it's ignored, right?

Yep. The worst result (short of breaking your tube) is the 'daily double' - you roll exactly your depletion number but your shot misses. Thus, the shot counts (unlike rolling greater than the depletion) but you have nothing to show for it but a 'No Smoke' counter.

JR
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
If available, use OBA for smoke.

And don't forget that vehicle smoke dischargers do not deplete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

... and that vehicles carry smoke grenades, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy del Rio
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quarashi wrote:
something like firing a dude

Poor guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.