United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
Several places in the rules book it sets base rules for aerial units. So what is the idle speculation on what we are going to see in that regards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt they will be planes, unless they have significantly different rules for them. Dust Tactics is pretty small-scale - a plane would fly across the whole map in about a second.

I'm looking forward to what they bring in though - I'm guessing some kind of hovercraft or infantry in rocket-packs, powered by the alien technology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Aranha
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook does mention helicopters, and I think this kind of craft makes the most sense for Dust Tactics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loophole Master wrote:
The rulebook does mention helicopters, and I think this kind of craft makes the most sense for Dust Tactics.

They'd have to be crazy sci-fi helicopters - I can't see FFG making regular ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McDonald
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
\|/
badge
/|\
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules they mention:

Aircraft
1 : Helicopters or other airborne troops.
2 : Various air-to-ground attack aircraft.
3 : The fastest and most heavily armored aircraft.

I agree that the scale of the field does not make a modified P-40 or B-17 feasible (which it too bad because they would look awesome).

They straight out say helicopters and imply a jet pack style unit. #2 and #3 are less defined. Perhaps an anti-grav Panzer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Ing
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well didn't the Germans actually make a few helicopters during WWII?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Fast aircrafts that can cover the map in a single turn have been done before and the mechanics worked.

Just check BattleTech: AeroTech 2, which is a game that could integrate fighters to the BattleTech game.

Fighters basically did strafing runs and bombings. You selected a path that the airplane will cross during the turn. It could bomb/strafe at any unit in that path. On the other hand, units within range of the path could fire at the airplane.
After it attacked, it needed a turn to do a 180 and come back from the other side. It effectively could attack once every other turn.
The minis for the fighters, while not 100% necessary, were still useful to put on the side of the map to know where the path was.

Air to ground and ground to air worked really, really well and i would love to see something similar make a comeback in Dust Tactics. The only weaker part for those mechanics were the air to air, which was a bit more abstract, but then Battletech being a ground game mainly, the fighters didn't detract from the "main course" of the game.

Sadly, i highly doubt such fast fighters will be done in Dust Tactics. At best, i beleive we'll see anti-grav units and/or crude helicopters that will be barelly faster than the ground troops. The SeeLowe campaign is all about the Axis trying to steal the plan of an Allied "revolutionary aircraft"... meaning something probably sci-fi. It is never mentionned what is revolutionary about the aircraft anywhere in the SeeLowe scenario, they are keeping it secret for now.

I also have a feeling that the elevation rules coming with the new announced expansion "Cyclone" is in preparation of the inevitable elevation rules for the aircrafts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Germans are working on plans for an armored hot air balloon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.