Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Gardner
United States
Kingston
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There has been some talk about making races for this game. I've been thinking about it, especially in regard to Star Trek, and I think the best method may be to just make it part of the scenario. Give each political entity it's own techs at the start, make sure they are balanced by CP, place the planets in a specific area and start it up. I'm almost done with the tech levels for the Federation, Romulans, Klingons, and Cardassians. I'll post them when I'm finished.

I'm thinking that if you give the tech to the races at the start, it should be hard and expensive to advance the tech further. Perhaps should probably use the optional research tech rules and increase the CP cost. That way your races are defined, but that doesn't mean they can't change slightly and surprise you.

I'm also considering giving the races a few abstract edges and hindrances.

Perhaps the Feds would have their home worlds (and CP funds) split among the five charter members, making them harder to eliminate. You could have the random alien races join them without a fight on a 5+ d10 roll to simulate their high diplomacy skills. You could also make it either much more expensive to get cloaking or ban it for them all together.

Just a few thoughts roaming around the old skull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Swift
United Kingdom
Ormskirk
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Go for it..... Was thinking Star Wars myself, but hey Star Trek will do me fine. Post away friend. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Anderson
United States
Ennis
Montana
flag msg tools
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
badge
There is nothing better than playing board games with my 4 sons!
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek is a neat idea and your ideas on it sound like they will work well... I look forward to seeing what you come up with and trying it out!

D.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

How about -

Romulans can have raiders/cloaking 2 and start with 1.
Klingons can have only cloaking 1 and start with 0.
Federation can't get cloaking.

Only scanner 1 available, not scanner 2. (Let's Romulans continue to use effective Raiders if they spend in better cloaks, regardless of enemy countermeasures).

I like the idea of significantly increasing tech cost as a general thing, too.

In the computer 4X game stars, the "slow tech" option doubled all tech costs. I think you could go even further here. It also used tech percentage costs as a race attribute - like Klingons having cheaper Offensive technology, here. Might compound the two ideas.

So starting from double the normal tech costs, some races would have normal cost in tech type A and 4 times cost in tech types B and C, with tech D and/or E simply prohibited.

Lets a "scenario designer" come up with his own "combined arms tree" for his scenario, instead of always having the same generic one, and that blindingly fast to climb (other than the "big ships with strong shields" tree, the only long on in the main game, really. OK, very high speed can also be costly, but that's about it).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.