Subject: Which is game often compared to Age of Empires III? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I remember seeing how people use to compare these two games where one of the game was Age of Empires III. Most often I think the other game was considered better.

But what was it? The Sid Meier's Civilization? Something else?

I have no idea.

I've started watching the AoEIII review and it seem nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eugene van der Pijll
Netherlands
Den Haag
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently?

I've seen a lot of people comparing Dominant Species to AoEIII. I must say I'm not very convinced myself; I didn't much like AoE but I love DS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Caylus?

I don't think either is better than the other. I like them both as they are different enough.

I think I've seen it compared to Age of Mythology too, but considered to be much better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Endeavor. But Endeavor is considered worse than Hansa Teutonica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pijll wrote:
Recently?

I've seen a lot of people comparing Dominant Species to AoEIII. I must say I'm not very convinced myself; I didn't much like AoE but I love DS.

How many other games mix worker placement and area control like these two games do?

While DS is likely the most similar to AoEIII in mechanisms, the games feel so different in playing them, I'm not sure the comparison is all that useful. The worker placement actions in AoEIII are more about engine building in order to score well (for which the Area Control is one of a variety of ways to do so). In DS, all the worker placement actions focus on the Area Control, including scoring which is one of the potential actions. AoEIII is a simpler, less opaque game, while DS is more interactive (to the point of brutal) game, with much more opportunity for "take that" and "bash the (perceived) leader" game play.
To me AoEIII is the better board game, while Dominant Species is the best argument for Microsoft Surface (or similar hardware). I'm not sure I ever want to play the game again if there is no computer calculating Domination.

ralpher wrote:
Endeavor. But Endeavor is considered worse than Hansa Teutonica.

The area control aspects are much less similar in either of these games than DS, and neither really has the worker placement that AoEIII and DS have. Endeavor is at least closer in theme.
Again, I'm not sure Endeavor is considered flat out worse than Hansa Teutonica, but Endeavor is definitely the lighter game. They're both pretty dry, with Hansa Teutonica probably being the drier, more abstract of the two (if theme is important). Endeavor's set-up is more tedious, but I don't think I'd turn down a game of either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason D. Kingsley
United States
Conroe
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For whatever reason, I associate it with Puerto Rico. I played AoE III for the second time last night and loved it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great topic. This may seem like an oddball choice, but I would pick Mecanisburgo. A worker placement stage followed by a conflict stage where each placement area is resolved. There is no area majority, but there is a research phase where you acquire projects which award you powers and VPs (similar, sort of, to AOE buildings). I would call it AOE3 + Netrunner...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
I would call it AOE3 + Netrunner...
So it's awesome?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's almost awesome. English rules are translations from original rules language, plus the large amount of cards results in IIRC a rather large FAQ. But pretty close to awesome if you like cyberpunk.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
havoc110 wrote:
It's almost awesome. English rules are translations from original rules language, plus the large amount of cards results in IIRC a rather large FAQ. But pretty close to awesome if you like cyberpunk.

Member of my game group picked it up early on, the rules were such a mess that we had to quit just a turn or two into it. There may be enough info here on the geek now to make it playable, but we had such a miserable experience the first time that I'm not sure how many of us would be willing to give it another go (the game has already been traded away).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of people get really turned off when a game is not perfectly playable out of the box. I get that, but I don't mind putting in some study and have gotten some really good game experiences out of it. You have to put a little work in to get Mecanisburgo playable, but you can get there. The worst example I have experienced of this type is Joan of Arc. Mecanisburgo is nowhere near that difficult, but you have to build up to it.. read rules, some sample rounds, read FAQ, read rules again, lather, rinse, repeat. Again, it's not for everyone, but it is a fair warning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.