Subject: Mythos Cards Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam McGinnis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hello All!

I had a question on Mansions of Madness. I bought the game and have started playing with my brothers. We have run into a snag and have turned to you to resolve this

The question: As the keeper can I play mythos cards even if an investigator has already said what he wants to do? i.e the investigator says they want to attack but we have not started turning attack cards over yet.

To me (the keeper) i feel like i can play mythos cards even if an investigator has stated his intent.

I cannot play mythos cards if we are flipping monster cards or rolling to see if something hits. My brother says that once he says what he wants to do, then i cannot play mythos cards because we are no longer between turns. So, when does the turn actually start?

My brother (investigator) feels that at the very start of his turn if he states as fast as he can that he is moving two spaces and attacking, then I (keeper) have lost all chances to play mythos cards because I didn't say it fast enough what i wanted to play a mythos card.

Please help out as I feel this style of play ruins the pacing and thanks in advance.

-Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that you should pick up the entire mythos deck, throw it at your brothers face, and storm out of the room....

oooooorrrrr, maybe you guys could come up with something more reasonable and in the spirit of the game....

you could use a phrase from one of the early reviews of this game..."NOT SO FAST"...
flex your keeper muscle and say, sorry this is my haunted house, grab the investigator by his shirt collar and drag him out of the laboratory, back into the foyer, and smash that painting over his doomed head....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Saucedo
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use mythos cards as a pause/interruption mechanic. Players can plan out what they will do and talk out loud, but must perform their actions one at a time. So if a player wants to move twice and attack they must. Move, PAUSE, Move, PAUSE, Attack. You as the keeper can play mythos cards during these PAUSES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chadwick VonVeederVeld
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DevilDawg90 wrote:
I use mythos cards as a pause/interruption mechanic. Players can plan out what they will do and talk out loud, but must perform their actions one at a time. So if a player wants to move twice and attack they must. Move, PAUSE, Move, PAUSE, Attack. You as the keeper can play mythos cards during these PAUSES.

don't forget the PAUSE that comes before that first move...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam McGinnis
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Great! Thanks so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Meighan
United States
Manahawkin
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I issue I ran into, although not too big a deal, was this:

1) Players decide who goes first, and would discuss their strategy.

2) I have a card I want to play on a certain investigator.

3) I have to wait until that investigator's turn before I can play the card at the start of his turn.

4) Because the players were deciding everything together, the player would jsut start moving before I could do anything.

5) I had to say, "wait a minute!" and play the card.

Nobody compained and just accepted this as the way it goes, so it was no big deal. However, I think the better way to play it is where the investigator announces his turn and gives the keeper a second to play any mythos cards "at the start of turn"

-One Wolf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer Myers
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...at the very start of his turn if he states as fast as he can that he is moving two spaces and attacking, then I (keeper) have lost all chances to play mythos cards because I didn't say it fast enough that i wanted to play a mythos card.

People who use that type of cheesy strategy are wankers and should get kicked in the balls.

However, in the interest of civilised game play, it might be better to do what the previous poster suggested and say,

"Not so fast! Before you can move [This Terrible Thing] happens!"

and then go ahead and play the Mythos card. You should always have a chance to make a play.

Of course if you had suddenly remembered that you wanted to play a card halfway through an investigator's turn then you've missed your chance and will have to wait till next time, but that doesn't sound like the issue you're dealing with here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Phantom

Rochester
New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group learned the PAUSE, move, PAUSE, move, PAUSE action from Descent. We carried that over to Mansions of Madness so that the time doesn't get interupted and we have to have someone go back and what was the path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.