Subject: Question About Troop Ships for the Japanese rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Hawthorne
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
I'm making a "deluxe" Midway game and I decided to add some troop ships to the Japanese force mix. I figure this will take some of the heat off the poor "Atago" and just generally be more fun.

There were about 12 troopships in the invasion force; I have six Japanese merchant ships miniatures, so I thought I'd give them 2 hits each with each ship counter having a Surface Gunnery of 0 and Anti-Aircraft 1.

Again, this is not a "play balance" issue, it's just a fun detail added for color, but I'd welcome any constructive suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played recently enough to give you any constructive thoughts on your variant handling.

After you get your battle board set up, I want you to post the pictures in this forum. Please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Darion Leonidas wrote:
I'm making a "deluxe" Midway game and I decided to add some troop ships to the Japanese force mix. I figure this will take some of the heat off the poor "Atago" and just generally be more fun.

There were about 12 troopships in the invasion force; I have six Japanese merchant ships miniatures, so I thought I'd give them 2 hits each with each ship counter having a Surface Gunnery of 0 and Anti-Aircraft 1.

Again, this is not a "play balance" issue, it's just a fun detail added for color, but I'd welcome any constructive suggestions.

In the Wargamer's Guide to Midway there's an article by Alan Moon (that was also published as a variant kit) called Pacific Theatre Via Midway that included scenarios for Coral Sea, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz and Guadalcanal. Among the counters are five APs to represent the invasion fleets in those battles. They are one hit box each, worth 4 VPs before unloading and one VP after and have combat factors of 1-2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Yeah, as I even made some of them and for the USA here: Ships Counters cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Lloyd
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is an article in The General v6#3, called "One Ship Invasion Fleet?" That article also appears in the wargamer's guide on page 8.
Briefly it it gives the Japanese:

1 CL (a real one this time)
3 destroyer divisions (3 destroyers each)
3 patrol boats
12 transports (as you noted before)

You may want to alter the OB adds. I have found destroyers to be rather unbalancing with the odds based airstrike CRT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leesa
United States
louisville
ky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I haven't played recently enough to give you any constructive thoughts on your variant handling.

After you get your battle board set up, I want you to post the pictures in this forum. Please.

Same here...well actually I can't even figure out Lightning: Midway – June 4th to June 6th, 1942 .. I so want to play war games.. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lack of time or opponent?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Hawthorne
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
drmark64 wrote:

I definitely will.

I am waiting on delivery of an "Akagi" miniature that was mistakenly left out of my ships order. It should be here any day now. Once it's here, everything should be ready to go!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.