Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had an awesome time up there. I got overconfident by my seamless navigation through Montreal on the way to Ottawa that I missed, not one, but two straying DR on the way back.

I generally love Canada and Canadians. I am glad they can put up with a loud boisterous American at their tournament.

Or maybe they can't

They are moving it to Winnepeg next year. Should I take that personally?

Anyways. I played 5 excellent scenarios against 5 excellent opponents. I think my third place finish has something to do with playing only two scenario that had AFV's in it, small ones at that.

A brief recap.

I played Paul Suderman (Japanese) in Kachin Rangers (BFP). Great scenario. I could barely contain my excitement at advancing up hill in the jungle without being tired. OK, I couldn't contain my excitement. Paul won on an adjudication. I cried foul the whole weekend about an all Canadian adjudication committee awarding a Canadian the victory. But I was only kidding. Paul had me beat. I needed some help from the dice to pull that one out. (I lost 0-1)

Next I played Avanti (LFT) with another great guy, Martin Hicks (Axis). About halfway through the game I figured out what I needed to do to win. Martin couldn't make it happen by then. He did generate a fanatic Italian squad. You don't see that too often. Do you all remember the first time you learned not to stack your guys in the woods with LOS to a mortar? Nuff said. (I won 1-1)

I then played Tic Tac Toe (SP) with Eric Laimer(Japanese). Eric got off to a good start as Sgt Fortenberry (American 8-1) couldn't lead his troops in combat. He finally was killed by a sniper. Eric had me in a vice at one point. My partisans came in and crushed the Japanese flank in CC and the lines shifted. Nothing went right for Eric after that. As a first for me, I had never thrown a WP grenade before. Very exciting.(I won 2-1)

Round 4 was against Michael Rodgers (Japanese) in Forming Spetsnaz (FF). Michael and I have chatted several times but never played. Neither one of us could figure out how the scenario was supposed to flow. We flailed away at this one for a bit and finally my Russians were able to hold the bridges. Michael had three key defensive positions go berserk. I back up and stacked up, problem solved. Poor guy. (I won 3-1)

Round 5 was against another great guy, Brad Knoll. We played 800 Heroes (MMP). We both wanted the Chinese in this one. I won the toss and played the Chinese. He sniffed out one of my two hidden set DC's and the next one I dropped a building on two of his squads. I generally had good fortune in this one. The best of the deal was when he peppered the warehouse with smoke and advanced in. My turn it started raining and all the smoke rounds went out. Anyways, I blasted away and that was that. (I won 4-1)

Footnote: I complained about the overinflated value of the Canadian dollar all weekend. I was just kindding about that too, but come on...!

$5.60 a gallon of gas and a Canadian dollar is worth more than an American dollar.

I am happy for the Canadian dollar. It just felt weird to have to pay $102 for a $100 Canadian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
drmark64 wrote:
I had an awesome time up there. I got overconfident by my seamless navigation through Montreal on the way to Ottawa that I missed, not one, but two straying DR on the way back.

I generally love Canada and Canadians. I am glad they can put up with a loud boisterous American at their tournament.

Or maybe they can't

I'm sorry I missed CASLO this year. Ottawa is a good place for it. And if we can put with Albertans, we can put up with Americans.cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aiabx wrote:
drmark64 wrote:

Or maybe they can't

I'm sorry I missed CASLO this year. Ottawa is a good place for it. And if we can put with Albertans, we can put up with Americans.cool

There's a difference between the two?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Albertans can drive a nail through a board. Amercians have to hire an Albertan to do it...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Retired Hurt

Brussels
Unspecified
msg tools
Cdn$ 5.60 a gallon, or US5.70 a gallon;
If they are US gallons, that's $1.50 per liter. If they are Imperial gallons (Canada, right ?), that's $1.25 per liter.

You should come visit Europe, and sure you'll regret Canada.
(the price here in Belgium is around $2.10 per liter, or nearly $10 per imperial gallon, and some countries are more expensive)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the details. I was just guessing. It cost abt $70 Canadian to fill a 12-13 gallon tank, so I am guessing on the price.

If I could drive to Europe, I'd go there to experienc the gas prices. I don't like boats and planes too much. I put up with them for weddings and funerals, but not ASL.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Knoll
Canada
Shilo
Manitoba
flag msg tools
MMP Disliker
badge
Soldier for Up Front, but is my back to the Volga or the Spree river?
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to have met and played you Mark. Had a blast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Evans
United States
Berlin
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise Brad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.