Mechwarrior: Dark Age» Forums » Rules

Subject: First time reading the rules, and need some help! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Harvey
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. When a transport boards passengers, moves with any passengers boarders, or dismounted passengers, its speed is halves for all of them, correct?

2. I'm kinda confused on the difference in giving orders and units recieving order tokens. Let's say I'm playing a 450pta battle, so I get to do 3 orders on my turn. Does that mean my turn ends once my units get given 3 order tokens on that turn, so I could for example activate a mech more than 3 times on one turn since it would gain heat and not order tokens if it already had one. Or does it simply mean once you have given 3 orders, no matter how many of them orders resulted in order markers. I only ask since I originally though it ended once 3 order markers were given, but then apparently I could use a vent order infinite times since it doesn't give the unit a marker

That's all for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When a transport embarks or discharges passengers, its movement is halved. The passengers, however, are not effected -- they can move their full movement rating (or fire) after debarking, or alternately they can move their full movement rating (ending up in base contact with a transport) and be embarked. It's also wise to use the terms "load" and "unload" as it clarifies the fact that it is the transport (not the passenger) that is performing the transport action (or, in other words, the passengers do NOT "board" or "get off" the bus, rather the bus picks them up and drops them off).

You get a set number of orders you can use to "activate" units each turn. This number can be increased if you have unit(s) with the "Command" ability and roll a 5 or 6, but generally speaking you only have that number of orders to play with each turn. Under most circumstances a unit can only be "activated" once per turn (there are, I believe, a couple pilot cards that allow you to activate the 'mech those pilots are assigned to more than once under very specific circumstances, but those are a rare special case). Activating a unit uses up one of your orders regardless whether it gets a marker or not. So, in the example you indicated, you could not do what you propose as venting takes an order.

There are two exceptions to this. The first is "cooling" -- in this case a 'mech does nothing during its turn (no movement, no combat, no venting) and as a result automatically reduces its heat dial by one click -AND- removes any marker that was associated with it (except for dual "shutdown" markers). The second exception has to do with the special three-legged "Collosus" super-mechs -- these units can shoot multiple times during a single turn (once apiece for each of their three weapons), move once, and then vent (venting, however, automatically ends their activation, regardless of whether they have performed the full number of other activities).

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
badge
Lancer4321 wrote:
When a transport embarks or discharges passengers, its movement is halved. The passengers, however, are not effected -- they can move their full movement rating (or fire) after debarking, or alternately they can move their full movement rating (ending up in base contact with a transport) and be embarked.

Just to double-clarify: if the transport already had passengers aboard, it has its full movement, unless it unloads the passengers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Haux
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, the vent order counts as one of your 3 orders. If you do not order a mech to either move, vent or fire, it automatically reduces 1 heat for free, and also looses its markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls