Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Fenwick
Australia
Newport
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey all, I've posted a few reviews here in the past but have started a blog to post all my assorted gaming crap to.
First review, and first real post is The Lord of the Rings LCG!
sauron

http://itrolled.blogspot.com/

Enjoy

Aaron Fenwick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
A very enjoyable read.

Quick question, why do you say that you can't combine the 30 card decks given to you in the core set? It seems to me that this would be an ideal option for someone looking to advance beyond the base 30 card decks, and attempt something more sophisticated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fenwick
Australia
Newport
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is with how decks are constructed, with three heroes and 50 card minimum. Each of the 30 card "starters" contains three heroes, so you do have to trim down to three heroes from the six you get. That choice can also affect what is in your deck as well, as not only do you have resource types but keywords (like Dwarf or Gondor) to play with as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stick with 50 cards, creating a 2-sphere deck is not very atractive; you just eliminate 10 cards of 60. Some have floated the idea of just making the it 30 card minimum with core set only, but would have been nice to have some "non-tournament" deck building rules (since 50 is for 'tournament play') just to have some guidelines/support for people who only play with the rules as written.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney "Watch It Played" Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
splangy wrote:
The problem is with how decks are constructed, with three heroes and 50 card minimum. Each of the 30 card "starters" contains three heroes, so you do have to trim down to three heroes from the six you get. That choice can also affect what is in your deck as well, as not only do you have resource types but keywords (like Dwarf or Gondor) to play with as well.

I guess this is where my lack of experience comes in. I've just started playing over the past couple days. I assumed a better deck would be a deck of 60 cards, merging two of the spheres together, and combining their better cards.

Do people generally stick to single sphere decks, even as you add expansions in? Or is this more of a limitation due to the card variety in the Core Set that doesn't lend itself to multi-spehere decks very well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon Morris
Canada
Fergus
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pelvidar wrote:
I guess this is where my lack of experience comes in. I've just started playing over the past couple days. I assumed a better deck would be a deck of 60 cards, merging two of the spheres together, and combining their better cards.

Do people generally stick to single sphere decks, even as you add expansions in? Or is this more of a limitation due to the card variety in the Core Set that doesn't lend itself to multi-spehere decks very well?

In general, the more cards in your deck, the more difficult the game since the chances of getting the specific card you need goes down. That is why 50 cards is the "Tournament Deck" minimum; a more concentrated deck of 30 cards can be more potent.

Multi-sphere decks can be created out of the core set easily enough, but when playing solo I still prefer to play 'double-fisted' (i.e. two single-sphere decks/hands).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Fenwick
Australia
Newport
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes you can do it with a little design, it just requires a little more work than with the other three LCG core sets. Game of thrones is fully preconstructed, while CoC and Warhammer are "stick two factions together plus a set of neutrals and you have a deck.". I would rather a little more card selection in the core set, but that's one of the few faults i found with the game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard van der Haak
Netherlands
Boerakker
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not going to click a link called I trolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.