Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have a couple of games I’ve been trying to trade away but have been having little luck. I was wondering if I was committing any trading blunders that might be hurting my chances.

What I’m looking to find out is:
If I see someone who has a trade that meshes with mine, should I just propose a trade, or am I supposed to initiate it another way?

Should I propose more than one trade with the games I want or that I am offering? I know you can cancel, but is that considered bad form to do often?

I know a lot of people are reluctant to trade with someone who hasn’t traded before; should I just keep chugging along at it, or try another route?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
I don't know about a geeklist, but I'll tell you what's been successful with me - geekmail instead of trade offers.

Use the trade tool to find likely matches, usually people with more than a single digit trade rating, and then geekmail the person with your offer. You'll still get a ton of ignored messages, but you're much more likely to get some sort of response over nothing. All of my successful non-math trades have come from that - either me initiating, or other people doing so.

It helps to mention in your profile that you're interested in trading.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Charney
United States
Saint Louis
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fenners wrote:
geekmail instead of trade offers.

Use the trade tool to find likely matches, usually people with more than a single digit trade rating, and then geekmail the person with your offer.

I couldn't agree more! Geekmail is the way to hash out the negotiations...then use the Trade request to formalize the agreed upon deal.

Another thing I've had success with is geekmailing to mention my interest in a game of theirs and asking if any game(s) on my For Trade list could make it happen. Many times peoples Want lists aren't all inclusive.

Also, if you've never traded before...your trade partner may request you ship first, but most around here seem to be good people...so I've never felt the need to go that route, but I've read about people getting burned. Definitely look for those who like to trade as they will be more likely to respond. FYI-- there's a geek badge out there that states...I respond to all trade offers http://boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/12668

This might also be a good group of Geeks to ease yourself into the trading market.

Good Luck!

p.s. Local trades are also an outstanding way to trade...cuts down on shipping and minimizes the "first trade" concerns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WAN CHIU
United States
Arcadia
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
I was proposing, in addition to the Yes No reply option, we have a "Maybe? lets talk" button for trade requests.

For me it takes me a while to decide on something so a lot of times and the other party might feel ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Geekmail.
Sometimes I've accepted or been accepted for an initial offer, but more often I've ended up going back and forth molding the trade into something mutually acceptable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Edwards
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first started trading, I suggested to people that I would be willing to ship first since I didn't have feedback yet. I don't know if it helped or not, but I was able to get some trades going that way (one or two asked me to ship first and another couple didn't care).

Personally, it annoys me when someone shops a game around trying to get the best deal - I had one person ask me if I was interested in his game, and when I replied (less than a day later) he had already decided to trade it to someone else. So, my rule of thumb is that if I ask someone if they're interested in a game of mine for one of theirs, I give them at least a day or two to respond before I ask anyone else if they're interested in the same game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
Make sure that you look at someone's wishlist comments before sending an offer; I've gotten more than a few trade requests where someone offered something where my wishlist comment was something like "might pick this up if I see a cheap copy at a flea market", and it was set at a 4.

You might also have more luck participating in a math trade, where you don't need to rely on a 1-to-1 match between what you're offering and what you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link to a Geeklist I wrote some time back.

8 (or More) Tips for Online Game Trading
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.