Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A group of us are playing the fifth edition for the first time (one is an experienced WiF player, the rest newbies). I have the fourth edition and am trying to figure out if I can use the 4th edition components with the 5th edition rules to try and learn the game. It would most likely be a solitaire session or thirty - Lots of interesting ideas here, but those rules were written as a reference and not as a learning guide (so say six of us long time wargamers).

So, are there any physical differences in the component values, map or charts and tables between the two editions? If so, is there a list of the differences?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no specific information, but I will say this: beware the counters. My group is starting a WiF final ed. game, and had to put off setup for a week because the counters from 5 ed. got mixed with Final ed., and they are NOT the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey H
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
A group of us are playing the fifth edition for the first time (one is an experienced WiF player, the rest newbies). I have the fourth edition and am trying to figure out if I can use the 4th edition components with the 5th edition rules to try and learn the game. It would most likely be a solitaire session or thirty - Lots of interesting ideas here, but those rules were written as a reference and not as a learning guide (so say six of us long time wargamers).

So, are there any physical differences in the component values, map or charts and tables between the two editions? If so, is there a list of the differences?

Thanks.

Martin,

It's been awhile, but I think that I played fourth edition and we upgraded to fifth edition with rules and chart changes only.

Now there was a map change in their too that was like edition 4.5, but I think that it only added some off map boxes in West Africa. I know this becuase me and a buddy both had the same edition and different maps (not that it was that different).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gray
United States
Strasburg
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Best answer I can think of to give you is: Check the French World in Flames page. Patrice has a section on differences between versions, and this may be well documented there.

As far as I can remember, the counters were identical for 4th and 5th edition. I remember the map changed to include some mountains around Prague for one of the earlier editions, but I do not recall if this was the point.

Other things to consider, 5th had a lot of additions, PiF, SiF, and Mech in Flames. Those added a lot, and they were designed (as far as I know) for 5th edition, so if you have them, I'm not sure if they will retrofit with 4th, but if you are using 4th counters and 5th rules, it shouldn't be a problem. Also there were some rules changes from 4th to 5th, the most significant of which that I can recall was in how convoys were done (4th may have been where you actually shipped resources overseas with naval moves). I recall that the TRS counters used to have "CONV" written on the back, but I don't know when that system changed.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the tips and guidance. For the first game (at least) we are playing without any expansions or optional rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.