Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Panic Station» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are players ever allowed to discuss the contents of their cards in hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thaddeus Griebel
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For example, if a human character has 2 gas can cards, and needs 1 more to try for the victory, would it be allowed to tell the other team members that he needs someone to trade him another gas can?

The rules say that during the Trade action, the cards traded are kept secret from other players, but in general, is it allowed to discuss your hand (for either manipulative or honest motives)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The way I see it discussing your hand, and lying about it, is part of the game. Imagine trying to persuade a human player into giving you a gas can, stating that you have two already, while you're really an infected. Or imagine the paranoia when someone exclaims, "Hey, he tried to infect me!" zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can certainly see no reason why you couldn't ask to be traded gasoline. You wouldn't be able to *show* the contents of your hand, of course. However, insisting that you need the third can of gas is probably a great way to get shot at for being infected!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Players are free to share information about who they suspect being a host, what cards they need and the contents of their hand, but of course there is no 100% guarantee they can be trusted. They could well tell you lies.
But at times the human team will be forced to stick together and take the risk of depending on a player to perform a certain action or trade them a specific card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played plenty of games where two players would be forced to trade and both believed each other to be human. The conversation usually goes "We're trading gas for gas, right? RIGHT?"

You clearly can't play open-handed, but you can discuss, and more importantly lie, all you want. ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trab
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've quite often played the game with not mentioning that I had bullets in my hand. If I'd say I had bullets, the other players probably would have wanted me to shoot at parasites... whether I'd prefer to save them for a situation in which I really needed them; to shoot an infected player (and thus preventing him from stopping us) or a human (and thus preventing him from destroying the hive) devil

It takes as much honesty and trust, as it takes lieing and bluffing to win this game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausloos
Belgium
Ranst
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bartjes wrote:
I've quite often played the game with not mentioning that I had bullets in my hand. If I'd say I had bullets, the other players probably would have wanted me to shoot at parasites... whether I'd prefer to save them for a situation in which I really needed them; to shoot an infected player (and thus preventing him from stopping us) or a human (and thus preventing him from destroying the hive) devil

It takes as much honesty and trust, as it takes lieing and bluffing to win this game

Exactly, a big part of the balance of the game you have to find is what information about your items you will share and what you better not share.
There is always the temptation to play the keycard and start opening doors, but in some cases it could be wise to play low-key and reveal your ability in a surprise moment so that the others are too late to react.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
You better know that if I'm infected and trade anything, I will claim that the other guy is infected, regardless of whether he is or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.