Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just my opinion at this point, but after a dozen or so plays, I think the oversupply of fisherman is just too valuable. Being -1 on fisherman is just a normal penalty, but being +1 is effectively a 10 point bonus. I intend to try making the "oversupply" bonus 1 point instead of 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You hear this a lot but honestly fishermen are the baseline of the game. The urgency surrounding available fishermen is stronger and more short-term, and I like how that affects the overall range of decisions.

Yes, someone with a decisive edge in fisherman will almost always win, and that's not true of any other type. But I find that among experienced players no-one ever has that edge. For me it's the core struggle around which the other strategies play out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
What JohnRayJr says - don't let that happen to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Kinslow
United States
Piperton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
↳ Do one brain damage ↳ Do one brain damage ↳ End the run
badge
Real heroes wear pink.
mb
You'd almost think that because they were so powerful that players should prioritize them.

I like the dichotomy between having to keep rows at the bottom (fishermen - a must have for anyone wanting to score highly) and warriors at the top to repel ships. Both are proactive needs that the player must focus on while picking up as many other scout/nobles in the process.

Occasionally fishermen show up for one player more than others but any runaway lead from fishermen that yields a 10+ point swing is a fault in the players and not the game in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dave
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly agree that generally it's possible to keep one player from getting too many fishermen, but sometimes - just sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

I played a 4 player game recently in which I was the last player in the first round. In that round 3 - yup 3 - fishermen came out. And 1-2-3 they went.

Round 2... 2 fishermen. And 1-2 they went. Two rounds in, and I don't have a single blue guy. Everyone else has at least one.

Round 3 - 1 fisherman. The guy with two got a third one. For FREE.

Round 4 (I get to go first!)... 0 fishermen. DAMNIT!

Round 5 - 4 fishermen. Whoo hoo - I get one. Actually I got two, because another player didn't want one. But the one guy has 4 now.

Round 6 - 0 fishermen. So the one guy got 4, which is huge in a four-player game. And really, there wasn't much we could do- I mean it was the luck of the draw out of the bag.

Still, I managed a respectable 2nd place...but it sucked sitting there with only 2 blues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bolleke Olleke
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
That's why you have to play with the 'advanced' rules, with the bidding.
Then you can be (or at least try to be) the starting player.
Also the fishermen are not necessarily placed first then, making them more expensive for the players. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
whattheproblemis wrote:
I mostly agree that generally it's possible to keep one player from getting too many fishermen, but sometimes - just sometimes it's the luck of the draw.

I played a 4 player game recently in which I was the last player in the first round. In that round 3 - yup 3 - fishermen came out. And 1-2-3 they went.

Round 2... 2 fishermen. And 1-2 they went. Two rounds in, and I don't have a single blue guy. Everyone else has at least one.

Round 3 - 1 fisherman. The guy with two got a third one. For FREE.

Round 4 (I get to go first!)... 0 fishermen. DAMNIT!

Round 5 - 4 fishermen. Whoo hoo - I get one. Actually I got two, because another player didn't want one. But the one guy has 4 now.

Round 6 - 0 fishermen. So the one guy got 4, which is huge in a four-player game. And really, there wasn't much we could do- I mean it was the luck of the draw out of the bag.

Still, I managed a respectable 2nd place...but it sucked sitting there with only 2 blues.

Yup, sometimes you just get a bad draw. I still don't think a rule needs to be changed. Now, if that happens 50% of the time, then the OP may have a point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Dyer
United States
Playa Del Rey
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would rephrase that as "surprisingly powerful". Yes, they are powerful and you should build you game strategy with that in mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert
Netherlands
Den Haag
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bolleke702 wrote:
That's why you have to play with the 'advanced' rules, with the bidding.
Then you can be (or at least try to be) the starting player.
Also the fishermen are not necessarily placed first then, making them more expensive for the players. ;-)

Thanks. Having played only one (2-player) game so far, I was wondering how the advanced game's placing rules would add anything to the game. I rather enjoyed the placing rules in the basic game. But the example given above, combined with the insight you provided about the auction and placing rules, make a lot of sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.