Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my two games of North Africa I decided to try my hand at the Ghost Division campaign.

TURN 1

With only one area to start my attack from I launch all my forces into Dinant and take it easily. Using Exploit I use all three of my supplies to try and take Cambrai, which is a Objective, with the 25th Panzer, 7th Motorized, and 6th infantry.

The Allies are too tough to crack and I am unable to take Cambrai and must retreat back Dinant. While I have taken some damage, none of my units are lost.

Axis end of turn 1

The allies draw and Advance for their Operation and stay put. They do little else to put pressure on the invaders and support a holding action. Their reinforcement phase puts a unit in Caen, one in Calis, and four supplies.

TURN 2

The next turn has the Germans in a renewed attack on Cambri. They throw the weight of the German army and crush the defenses.

Using exploit, I move my 25th Panzer into the undefended city of Paris and take it without a fight. With Paris in my hands, I bring in the Totenkopt infantry into Paris to bolster my lead army.

End of Axis 2nd turn

The Allies draw a 2 advance this turn. When the attack comes it will move far, but so far it has little fighitng force.
The Allies moved up their two units from Caen and Calais. A single unit attacks from Brussels into Cambrai. The weak attack is annihilated in one quick turn and only servers to weaken their armies in France.

End of Allied 2nd turn

TURN 3

Turn three sees the Axis force in Cambrai mount a heavy attack against the French armored units in Arras. While it is a valiant stand by the French, the armored units are on the defensive, loosing their valuable attack numbers. In two turns, they Allied armor is wiped out and the Germans take the 2nd objective on the map. The Germans loose the 7th infantry, but it is a small price to pay for the prize of Arras and the Allied armor destruction. I move the Totenkopt infantry back into Cambrai to hold the objective.

Attack on Arras

I take 8 supply points at the end of the German turn for future use and also place buy and place the 15th Panzers in Paris

The Allies respond with a GO! chit. The bad news is there is only one unit to attack with and it ends up attacking my two units in Paris.

It's a horribly unsupported attack that tries to retake Paris and is easily beaten back. This really only servers to give my new 15th Panzer unit a veteran status.

The Allies unluckily gain 16 supplies and no new units. It's a major stumbling block that they get no new units and will cost them dearly.

End of Allied 3rd turn

TURN 4

With the Axis only needing the final objective in Cherbourg the 15th and 25th Panzer armies move to attack the final units guarding the approaches in Rouen.

It's another quick fight and the German Panzer end up victorious, yet again. I also use exploit with my last supply to move a unit into Le Harve. There is some shuffling of units behind the lines to make sure I hold Arras, Cambrai, and Paris. With the extra supplies I buy the 31st Panzer unit and place it in Paris... Just to be sure.

End of Axis 4th turn

The Allies pull and advance 1 chit and get no operation going. In a last ditch effort the unit in Lille attack the lone unit in Arras to try and take an objective... it's a failure and they are forced to retreat from battle.

The only bright spot is that the Allies bring ashore a unit a Calais but most importantly one in Caen, blocking the way to Cherbourg.

End of Allies 4th turn

TURN 5

With the prize in sight the Axis launch their final assault on Caen with the 15th and 25th Elite Panzers.

There is little the Allies can do, the position is overrun and soon (with exploit move) Cherbourg falls and so does France.

It's a glorious victory for me and the Germans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fitz
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report of one of my favourite scenario (ok I like North Africa more).

In terms of your opening I always struggle with supply phase as there are are only 2 units in supply in either Dinant or Chambrai leading to hits for the additional units. I could not see if took the hits after your unseccessful attack to Chambrai.

My solution is to advance 2 units to Reims in the 1st turn after Dinant is taken and exploit (if possible) further to Paris.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds too easy to me. You were either very lucky or something went wrong, I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stophle wrote:
Sounds too easy to me. You were either very lucky or something went wrong, I guess

It was pretty easy, but it helped that the allies got only one unit in operations to the battle, which was beaten back easily. Also, there was one turn where the allies got all supplies instead of units which really helped.

And I did not win until the 5th turn, which sound about average to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Openair wrote:
Nice session report of one of my favourite scenario (ok I like North Africa more).

In terms of your opening I always struggle with supply phase as there are are only 2 units in supply in either Dinant or Chambrai leading to hits for the additional units. I could not see if took the hits after your unseccessful attack to Chambrai.

My solution is to advance 2 units to Reims in the 1st turn after Dinant is taken and exploit (if possible) further to Paris.

Maybe its just me, but I see a think brown line between Chambrai and Brussels and over to Luxembourg. According to the rules these mark geographical differnt areas. I did not see a truck with stacking limits in this area and figured cause it was close to the Germany attack point stacking limits were not applied.

Was I wrong? I did not even think of it until you said something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norman Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for doing the replay, it has helped me to see how i can use the german better to win (played several times and thought the scenario too tough for the Germans).

I thought you were playing incorectly when you brought german reinforcements into Paris, checked and just noticed the Liege, Lille and Paris options - I thought I could only use Leige - so maybe I might get some better results now. DOH!

as for the brown lines - I think there are only TWO regions as shown by the very thick brown line and two supply trucks. I think the mid thickness brown lines are just defining national boundaries and do not have any effect on play.

thanks for posting, I appreciate the maps as illustrations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The regions thing has been discussed [thread=2789185]here.[/thread]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
normsmith wrote:
Thanks for doing the replay, it has helped me to see how i can use the german better to win (played several times and thought the scenario too tough for the Germans).

I thought you were playing incorectly when you brought german reinforcements into Paris, checked and just noticed the Liege, Lille and Paris options - I thought I could only use Leige - so maybe I might get some better results now. DOH!

as for the brown lines - I think there are only TWO regions as shown by the very thick brown line and two supply trucks. I think the mid thickness brown lines are just defining national boundaries and do not have any effect on play.

thanks for posting, I appreciate the maps as illustrations.

Looks like I learned something too. I may have had a tougher egg to crack with those stacking limits... but I had enough supplies most of the game. I think this would have delayed my victory by a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I think you would have had to pay 4 supply or take two hits?
Starting with three supplies, you would have felt that I guess.
Plus you wouldn't get any supply after the first turn. Not sure it would have only cost one turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Slater
Malta
flag msg tools
Your 4 forces, after your turn 1 phase, cannot legally 'stack' in one area without incurring severe supply penalties. In GHOST DIVISION, every area on the map is restricted to a max of 2 axis units, otherwise penalties of supply or hits have to be taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Kudric
Argentina
La Plata
Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so, this is not a legal play of the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.