8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Matching Monopoly's popularity rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
What would it take for a modern board game to become as popular and ensconced in the popular consciousness as Monopoly, Scrabble, Trivial Pursuit and so on?

Or am I perhaps going a step too far - is it, in the first place, possible at all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason, why this games are so popular is not their quality,
but the lack of alternatives.

I´d say Catan and Carcassonne are the only two that are comparable (if you can compare older and newer games anyway).

You could on the other hand also ask, if Trivial Pursuit is as popular as Go, Chess, Pachisi, Kalah...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Time and marketing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Olivier, Sr.
United States
North Smithfield
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's possible, of course, but I don't really see it happening in the near future. Living in a culture where video and computer games rule the roost, many people don't even think of board games when the word 'game' is mentioned. Let's face it, when Monopoly was invented, there wasn't even TV, not to mention games that could be played on it! It was a game that refelected the times, fun, easy to learn and teach.
It's stood the test of time, and is now reduced to publishing new 'editions' for every hit TV show or movie that comes along.
Every GOOD new game that comes along has to overcome intense competition not only from other board games but also competes with video games, computer games, hundreds of channels of TV, social media, etc. That doesn't leave a lot of room for board games to become ensconced in our pop culture (although Trivial Pursuit is fairly recent among the games you listed).
But perhaps we should count our blessings that the board games we play are not yet fully engrained as cultural icons. At least we don't walk into a gamestore to be greeted by signs reading "Coming Soon - Settlers of Catan: Grey's Anatomy Edition!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
rantinronrevue wrote:
I think it's possible, of course, but I don't really see it happening in the near future.

Well, I am leaving it open - just what would it take? How long would it take that thing to do it?

Imagination - bring it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clem Fandango
New Zealand
WELLINGTON
flag msg tools
Stephen, it's Clem Fandango. Can you hear me?
badge
YES I can hear you Clem Fandango!
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly here in NZ Catan has taken a strong lead here as The alternative (Euro) game.

The more we have the cult of the new the less likely it is that one game can emerge.

The other issue is we aren't championing one game. Arguably we're saying
"You can have Monopoly - but here are 30,000 other games you can play".
This means one games is not the answer.

This is not a great marketing position. With money we could mount campaigns to show people there are games they will like that are as individual as they are, but it's a hard ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't call Monopoly "popular". "Ubiquitous" is a far better description IMO. My family collectively owns about 3 games of Monopoly:

* My parent's copy.
* My grandparent's copy.
* My other grandparent's copy.

My family also owns about that many copies of Nine Men's Morris, Halma, Chess and a swiss cross and circle game: My parent's copies, my grandparent's copies and - well I think you get the picture.

Up until 50/60 years or so there hasn't been many other board games with broad appeal so *everyone* bought them if they could afford it. Now everyone is just passing on their old copies until they finally break or they realize how bad the game is in comparison with what we have today.

So the way I see it it's a matter of time until Monopoly becomes an obscure ancient game. But to actively displace it? I don't think that's possible due to the sheer volume of games available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthijs NL
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
I wouldn't call Monopoly "popular". "Ubiquitous" is a far better description IMO. My family collectively owns about 3 games of Monopoly:

* My parent's copy.
* My grandparent's copy.
* My other grandparent's copy.

My family also owns about that many copies of Nine Men's Morris, Halma, Chess and a swiss cross and circle game: My parent's copies, my grandparent's copies and - well I think you get the picture.

Up until 50/60 years or so there hasn't been many other board games with broad appeal so *everyone* bought them if they could afford it. Now everyone is just passing on their old copies until they finally break or they realize how bad the game is in comparison with what we have today.

So the way I see it it's a matter of time until Monopoly becomes an obscure ancient game. But to actively displace it? I don't think that's possible due to the sheer volume of games available.

I agree. It will take time. Most likely some 15 years or so, when the current kids have grown up. And I think it will be displaced by catan. The normal toy stores around here are stocking catan by default now.

And in my opinion catan is perfect for this cause its such a good gateway game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.