BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Can you suggest some fun board games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
California Rolling
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hello I basically just have a million and one Monopolies (I love this game because it's a classic) and my favorite is Clue.. but I'd like to try some others as long as they're not super super complicated like war games etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Liken
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try:

Ticket to Ride
Catan
or perhaps
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Vaccari
Italy
Nonantola (Mo)
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try:

- Mistery of the Abbey (similar to Cluedo, but more funny!)
- Zooloretto (very nice game for the whole family)
- Dice Town (very funny game with poker dice)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Warren
United Kingdom
Wisbech
CAMBRIDGESHIRE
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Elves are very good at board games, and I'm NOT an elf!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Catan
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games that are generally considered to be similar to Clue(do) are Mystery of the Abbey and Mystery Express.

In my humble opinion, and to throw some different games into the mix than the ones everyone will suggest here (Ticket To Ride, Carcassonne, Dominion, Settlers of Catan etc etc etc), the easy games that I really enjoy and importantly find FUN are:

Thebes
Hey, That's My Fish!
PitchCar
Dice Town

To get some extra, cheaper games into your collection you could go with some of the card games considered to be among the best - Coloretto, No Thanks!, 6 Nimmt! (otherwise known as Slide 5 and Category 5) and Mamma Mia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the games on this list will serve you well...

http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Board_Game_Gift_Guide_201...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Bosca
United States
Royal Oak
Michigan
flag msg tools
resist.
badge
Eternity, said Frankie Lee with a voice as cold as ice; That's right, said Judas Priest, eternity, though you might call it paradise...
mbmbmbmbmb
Mykerinos

Pandemic

Ingenious

For Sale

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GeekInsight
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wanted to throw out another recommendation for Mystery of the Abbey. I often describe it to people as "Like Clue, if Clue were fun." It eliminates the roll and move aspect while keeping the card based deduction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shayne Gray
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG I'm sure you'll find a lot of good fun games based on the recommendations provided.

If you have a local game store near you, a lot of them have demo games that you can try out. That might be a good choice for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The single best "board" game I can suggest is:
FORBIDDEN ISLAND

It's inexpensive, fun to play, co-op so anyone you introduce it to won't feel like you're just trouncing on them, transportable, great looking, and not even a little complicated. Also, there's a timing mechanism built into the game so that it doesn't take very long to play.

After you've tried that one, then go ahead and dive into any of the other suggestions above as they're all good.

EDIT: I wrote "board" in quotes because the game is played on a series of tiles so that the game is different every time you play it, which is another bonus.

EDITED AGAIN: You'll find it in just about any local game store, but if you're not familiar with them, here is the link to Amazon.com for it http://www.amazon.com/Gamewright-317-Forbidden-Island/dp/B00...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Perrault
United States
Delaware
flag msg tools
Witch of Salem is simple with short rules and is a good way to get introduced into something different from the Monopoly types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
If boardgaming is your new-found hobby, and you're only familiar with Monopoly, may I suggest you to look at Carcassonne.

When I first got into this hobby, and played Carcassonne for the first time, which has tile-laying mechanic, I thought it's cool, interesting and very fun (fun;based on post title). I've never tried or seen games that has such mechanic at that time so I'm pretty much hooked. Yes, even till today (after owning and playing many games), carcassonne is still one of my favourite light game.

The game is so simple and very friendly to non-gamers. It can be played with 5 (or 6 if you get the expansion) and if you like the game so much, you can get the first two expansions; Carcassonne: Expansion 1 – Inns & Cathedrals and Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders (but not too soon). The game has also won the SdJ, which is a well known German board gaming award. Now that's something!

Let us know what have you decided at the end yeah!
Owh, and welcome to BGG! Hope you'll have a pleasant stay here!
Regards

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Stewart
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can you suggest some fun board games?

I can, but sometimes it's just as fun to do something different entirely. So, without further ado, here's a list of some absolute crap:

LCR...avoid.
Chutes and Ladders...you'll wish you hadn't.
Battle of the Sexes...good lord, no.
Labyrinth...waste of time.
Trivial Pursuit...trivial indeed!
Munchkin...just trust me on this one.
Yahtzee...don't.

...ok, fine, in a vague attempt to actually be helpful, I'll give a link to a reply I left to a similar topic recently. Click this text right here. No, not this text, the text over there. There you go, you got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Sanfilippo
United States
ISSAQUAH
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystery of the Abbey is a good game but it is Clue on steroids, It can be a tough game to play. Carcassonne for sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burall

Maryland
msg tools
There is one game that I love that is so much fun I don't care whether I win or not, and that's saying something!
Survive! Escape from Atlantis
Good for pretty much the whole family and good for non-gamers.

Ticket to Ride is also a good choice.
Tsuro is a quick easy game that's fun for all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.