Popular Tags: [View All]
Ururam Tururam
Poland
Krakow
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Experimenting Warlock
badge
Caffa et bucella per attractionem corporum venit ad stomachum meum.
mbmbmbmbmb
The fourth big Carcassonne expansion “The Tower” brings 18 new tiles to the game. All of them share a new feature: a tower base. Towers are new mechanics introduced in this add-on. Instead of playing their followers the players may put wooden tower elements (there are 30 of them) on the tower bases.

The aim of the towers is capturing opposing meeples. The higher the tower is the bigger is also the range within which the meeple can be captured. Once taken, the follower is consider “a prisoner” and it cannot be used by its owner unless they either pay a ransom (3 points) or exchange it for another captured meeple.

The rules are fairly straightforward and the resulting towers growing above the game landscape look cool! But many players feel there’s something lacking there. It’s perhaps something like the potential of the towers is not fully utilized. Moreover: the followers once taken hostage cannot return to the structures they were taken from (they could in “The princess and the Dragon” expansion thanks to the magic path tiles). As the result many abandoned structures appear. And – similarly to “The Princess and the Dragon” – the meeple captured mechanics seems not to be liked by many players.

Oh, one more thingy! The expansion contain a nice-looking tower-like tile dispenser. Yet I still think that a cloth sack is much more handy…

My conclusion is then analogous to the one I had with “The Princess and the Dragon” – this expansion is worth getting. Mainly because it adds the third dimension to the game. But if you don’t like the follower capture mechanics (I don’t!), I advise you to either try one of the game variants available online or to try to make your own variant.

Let the towers grow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eoin Corrigan
Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
flag msg tools
designer
ASL Fanatic
badge
Royal Dublin Fusiliers "Spectamur Agendo"
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review.

It seems like an odd conclusion, though, i.e. to recommend purchase despite a dislike of the tower rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.