Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Yomi» Forums » Rules

Subject: Questions: "normal attack", Jaina's "Burning Vigor" and mandatory costs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
In the rules, "normal attacks" are defined as "#s 2 to 10".
So, I'm wondering these two things:

1: After being downed, odd blocks can't block even normal attacks – I take it that means that any block work against non-normal attacks (face cards, aces).

2: Geiger's 4 is a throw and starter. Will he generate ace-drawing if he links the 4 with a 5 and then a 6? The reason I ask is that we've considered "normal attacks" being just that… attacks, and not throws. I haven't scoured all decks, but I haven't found any other deck with a low throw that can be a straight with attacks (Rook's low throws are all Non Combo). A pal of mine pointed out that if #s 2–10 are normals, then 4, 5,6 should count as a straight. I pointed out that the 4 wasn't a normal _attack_, but we were unsure.

3: Jaina's Burning Vigor lets her return any number of "non-joker combo cards" to her hand if she attacks. Now, the FAQ clarifies most parts, but… why the wording "non-joker combo card"? Whenever is a Joker a combo card, and exactly what is a "combo card"? (We first thought it was the cards used after the combat card, the ones that were the "combo". The FAQ told us wrong, she can return any card to her hand).

3.5: Can Jaina return _any_ card from her discard pile or just the cards she used for this attack only? That is a bit unclear in the FAQ.

4: What happens if a player plays a card and cannot play the mandatory cost? The opponent auto-wins that round (i.e. draws a card if he blocked, does damage if he attacked or threw)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrey
Russia
St. Petersburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have rules at hand, but I'll answer questions that I'm sure of.
Zimeon wrote:
Any block work against non-normal attacks (face cards, aces).

Yes.

Zimeon wrote:
3: Jaina's Burning Vigor lets her return any number of "non-joker combo cards" to her hand if she attacks. Now, the FAQ clarifies most parts, but… why the wording "non-joker combo card"?

I could be wrong, but I think it means "anything that was played as a move, not as an ability". Because "unstable power" used as ability can't be returned thah way, at least in online version.

Zimeon wrote:
3.5: Can Jaina return _any_ card from her discard pile or just the cards she used for this attack only? That is a bit unclear in the FAQ.

Just the one(s) played in this attack, including pump cards and all that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Whenever is a Joker a combo card, and exactly what is a "combo card"? (We first thought it was the cards used after the combat card, the ones that were the "combo". The FAQ told us wrong, she can return any card to her hand).

I was confused about this at first, too - all the cards in the combo are combo cards, and the combo is the entire sequence of played cards including the first card.

This makes it always the case that you played a combo whenever you played anything at all. Additionally, this makes it entirely possible to have played a combo without having comboed off the first card. Apparently, this is entirely self-explanatory to people who played a lot of fighting games, so I guess I must not have played a lot of fighting games. The revised rules talk about "continuing your combo", so they're a lot clearer in this respect.

Zimeon wrote:
4: What happens if a player plays a card and cannot play the mandatory cost? The opponent auto-wins that round (i.e. draws a card if he blocked, does damage if he attacked or threw)

Strange, the rulebook had this in the FAQ some time ago. The downside of living rules, things might vanish. Either way, this is illegal, so just don't do it (unless it's a honest mistake).

Yomi Rulebook (page 3-4) wrote:
13) What if I play an Ace move that requires me to immediately reveal more Aces, but I don’t have any more Aces in my hand?

A: This is an illegal play. In a casual game, your opponent might be nice enough to let you take back your move and you can start that turn’s combat over again. In a serious match, you reveal your hand to show that you don’t have enough Aces. If your hand DOES have enough Aces, you must play the Ace move you used in combat. If you hand does NOT have enough Aces, your penalty is that you discard the Ace you played in combat, then you must play no-card. The opponent can then re-choose his combat move and hit you with anything he wants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. The Geiger thing is the only thing I'm unsure of, then. And the wording "non-joker combo card" that seems to imply that there are certain situations where jokers can be combo cards, which the rules clearly state they can't.

The ruling for mandatory costs sound good.

haslo wrote:
Additionally, this makes it entirely possible to have played a combo without having comboed off the first card. Apparently, this is entirely self-explanatory to people who played a lot of fighting games, so I guess I must not have played a lot of fighting games.

I haven't seen any fighting game claiming "1 hit combo!". I've played quite some fighting games and I felt "combo cards" probably meant cards used to continue the combo. No problem there though, I just want to be 100% sure, because everyone I play with who chooses Jaina wonders what a "non-Joker combo card" is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the wording is to cover Jaina using Q and pumping with anything but a Joker. If you pump Q with a throw/block, since Q is an attack you can buy back both.

The chain/straight is exclusively for attacks, not throws. FWIW I usually check how the online client resolves things for rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Miller
United States
Stigler
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only attacks count for straights. Geiger intentionally has no possible straights.

The reason for non-joker in Jaina's ability is because of Dragonheart's "+Any". People in testing were discarding jokers to pump it and then returning them for free, so that clause was added to prevent this. "Combo cards" does include the initial attack. This also means Jaina can return attacks even if they fail to hit (making repeated Q's possible if you're willing to spend the HP)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again. I missed the part with Jokers as pump cards. (And I didn't regard pump-discards as "combo cards" either, though the FAQ cleared that).

I take it that "combo cards" means "all the cards you used in this round's attack, including pump-cards but excluding cards used as abilities".

SlebRittie wrote:
Geiger intentionally has no possible straights.

He has one: 5-6-7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.