Popular Tags: [View All]
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Atomic batteries to power! Turbines to speed!
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of friends have been playing Malifaux recently so I thought I'd have a look myself. I'm not going to see them for another week so I though BGG may be able to give me some advice.

I know I need a Fate Deck to play, but there are different colourd decks and I can't find how that matters.

If I start I'll probably pick up the Outcasts Viktoria starter (and rulebook obviously). Is that a good play to start?

Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
The color of the deck does not matter. The cards themselves are the same, it's just a different back to match the color of the faction you're playing (if you care about such a thing).

The Viktorias are a good place to start. They hit things, and hit them hard. They also have a few movement tricks. They are pretty fragile however. That said, I'm a firm believer that you need to pick a crew you like by looks and / or fluff when starting out. It's hard to say if the play style is going to be something you like before trying them.

Be sure to use the updated rulebook: Malifaux Rules Manual . No fluff but rules are easier to follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for the quick reply.

I may pick some up the weekend.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, you don't need a fate deck. You can use a standard deck of cards. If you do get a fate deck I recommend the puppet ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Neilson
United States
Mountain Home
Idaho
flag msg tools
"Unchecked climate change, global nuclear weapons modernizations, and outsized nuclear weapons arsenals pose extraordinary and undeniable threats" -The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists Science and Security Board. 1/21/16
badge
Troops of the U.S. Army 11th Airborne Division watch a plume of radioactive smoke rise November 1, 1951 after a blast at Yucca Flats, Nevada. (Photo by National Archive/Newsmakers)
mbmbmbmbmb
Jormi_Boced wrote:
... If you do get a fate deck I recommend the puppet ones.

I agree. The reason why is because the Puppet Fate Deck is made out of plastic. The regular decks are somewhat flimsy and uses a lot of black that will show wear rather quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Jordal
United States
Austin
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Ike Clanton painted by me for Wild West Exodus
mbmbmbmbmb
OrlokSubedei wrote:
Jormi_Boced wrote:
... If you do get a fate deck I recommend the puppet ones.

I agree. The reason why is because the Puppet Fate Deck is made out of plastic. The regular decks are somewhat flimsy and uses a lot of black that will show wear rather quickly.

Exactly. I have two of the puppet ones as they came in puppet wars and I like them a lot more than the regular ones I had previously.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Club Squirrel
England
Brierley Hill
The Black Country
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for that advice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.