Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Space Empires: 4X» Forums » Rules

Subject: Errata rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any errata for this game?

I had a quick glance at the (unofficial) FAQ, but that seemed to be mostly clarifications.

Would there be any reason to wait for the second printing before buying it? (I've been burnt several times in the past, buying a new game, and then ending up rebuying it when a new, improved edition / printing comes out.)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateenyweeny
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Raks Raks Raks
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim has said that he is refining the rules a bit and will post the update as "living rules" on the GMT site.

Not sure if the reprint will come with updated rules but I don't think anything else will change.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, no errata, and none needed The designer is really active on these forums, and the only thing that was changed was a rule interpretation bit. The rules are perfectly solid, very enjoyable, particularly compared to the likes of FFG (who produce fine games, just with need of immediate and extensive errata-ing).

On the other hand, if you don't buy a copy soon, you might be forced to wait for a second printing anyway, the first one is sold out at GMT already and only available further down the distribution chain
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Leet
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I put together the three page clarifications reference and it required a lot of judgement calls about what to include because really none of it was specifically errata. There are some areas of the rules where the original wording allowed for a bit of interpretation, and that is being fixed in the updated living rules, but I hardly think anyone will feel burned by owning the first printing of this one.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm normally ocd about complete and accurate rules but in this case my advice is to stop denying yourself the enjoyment of this game immediately.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I had a quick glance at the (unofficial) FAQ, but that seemed to be mostly clarifications.


That's all the game has really required. There has been one actual rule change that i'm aware of, it limits blockaded planets. Other than that, it's just been minor rules clarifications, and those have been handled by the designer himself, that's official enough for me.

The errata files posted here are evidently approved of by the designer as well, so they're all good. The game's very finely tuned, it works.

edit===

i could see the sense of P500ing the reprint to save $$$ however.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
No errata for counters or anything like that, if that is what you mean. The new printing will have an updated rule and scenario book with the clarifications built in, but those will be available here shortly.

In the mean time, the same benefit can be had by looking at the condensed clarifications from Brian and the alternate victory conditions. Those are linked in the game description.

The FAQ document from Ted is an awesome resource. It includes every question asked since the rules were posted 3 months ago and it is organized by rule section.

I hope you enjoy the game!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The only Errata, rule change, that I know of is that blockaded colonies can not produce a SY, Base or Decoy.

This is from Jim K in another rule thread.

BOb
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
The only Errata, rule change, that I know of is that blockaded colonies can not produce a SY, Base or Decoy.

This is from Jim K in another rule thread.

BOb


And it would be a stretch to call it "errata" since that is the natural reading of the rules as written.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lutz
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Malacandra wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
The only Errata, rule change, that I know of is that blockaded colonies can not produce a SY, Base or Decoy.

This is from Jim K in another rule thread.

BOb


And it would be a stretch to call it "errata" since that is the natural reading of the rules as written.


I disagree. The rules only say that a blockaded colony can not produce CP. However, it does grow. Nothing in the original rules forbids it from building a Base/SY.

BOb
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Malacandra wrote:

And it would be a stretch to call it "errata" since that is the natural reading of the rules as written.

I disagree. The rules only say that a blockaded colony can not produce CP. However, it does grow. Nothing in the original rules forbids it from building a Base/SY.

BOb

Yes it does:
SE4X Rules 8.1 Bases wrote:
a Base may be built at any friendly planet with an income-producing Colony

SE4X Rules 8.2.2 Building Ship Yards: wrote:
Ship Yards may only be built at planets that produced income.

It could be more explicit, but the most natural reading would be that if it's blockaded, it's not producing income, and you can't build.

2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
Malacandra wrote:
pilotbob wrote:
The only Errata, rule change, that I know of is that blockaded colonies can not produce a SY, Base or Decoy.

This is from Jim K in another rule thread.

BOb


And it would be a stretch to call it "errata" since that is the natural reading of the rules as written.


I disagree. The rules only say that a blockaded colony can not produce CP. However, it does grow. Nothing in the original rules forbids it from building a Base/SY.

BOb


Well, bases and shipyards cannot be built at colonies that did not produce income. That restriction was what gave rise to the original dispute and ruling.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.