Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Sharville
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi. I'm going to be travelling for seven days on the Trans Siberian Railway with my oldest friend. I'm a board gamer; he's not, but he's keen to get into some gaming action during the journey. We have a two-berth cabin with a small table. So, any suggestions for great two-player games that will help us pass some of the time between vodkas and stamping our feet to keep warm on station platforms, and suitable to stimulate a gamer and non-gamer? I guess a desirable factor (although not essential) would be something that evokes the journey (Twilight Struggle maybe). Risk is already a must, as we're going to be stopping at Irkutsk station.

Thanks folks.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Transsib

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
Stone Age
Cartagena

and all of the abstract games in the GIPF project. Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seccond the GIPF project.
Further I´d suggest Jaipur, Caesar & Cleopatra, Blokus Duo and my Topology.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I second Blokus Duo and would like to add Ingenious: Travel Edition - if abstracts are ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chen
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
small world
arkadia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sharville
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great community. Thanks everyone. Keep 'em coming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sharville
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
Jaipur
Stone Age
Cartagena

and all of the abstract games in the GIPF project. Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy.

Thanks Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Take a distinctive deck of playing cards -- one with photos of your region, 007 characters, etc. If you're lucky, you might engage some friendly strangers in a game. Regardless, the deck can be used as a modest remembrance gift for someone you meet.

I don't know if you'll use it, but it couldn't hurt to add Durak to your card-playing repertoire before you leave. For just the two of you, there's Schnapsen, Gin Rummy, and Cribbage (with a travel board). There's a 52-card Lost Cities variant that's pretty good. I've been meaning to try the two-player games Mate and SLAM! -- maybe you'll beat me to them.

None of these are in The Hotness, but there's a chance you'll play one with your friend many years from now as you reminisce about your fantastic journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is awesome. All non-gamers I've shown it to love it, and it has considerable depth for gamers as well.

Carcassonne has always been a great entry game that almost everybody seems to like, too.

It seems like space is not an issue for you since you already mentioned Risk, but both Dominion and Carcassonne should be played on a rather large table. A game that requires a little less space and is also slightly heavier (but still very suitable for non-gamers, if you ask me) is San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't able to work the travel theme in, but all of these are portable, are taught relatively quickly and play in a short amount of time.

Biblios might be good. It doesn't take much space and can be learned and played very quickly.

Battle Line is also quick and easy (though it needs a longer space - see the images).

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper is a third card game which is more difficult to learn (I recommend you download a player aid) but is rewarding and even thematic.

Mr. Jack is a non-card game with a proper board. It's a classic two player thinker.

Happy travels!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur is great but may take too much space if your table is too small
Cold War: CIA vs KGB is on theme and supposed to be good but I never played it
The Battle for Hill 218 is also fun but also may be concerned about the space required to play
Guillotine can also probably work and is pretty fun
Maybe Court of the Medici?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Volkwein
United States
Verona
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer

Might I recommend Castaways. I recently published this game and it's been a huge success so far. It's a 2 Player Dueling game where you're pirates fighting up and down the plank. Super simple gameplay and the main mechanic involves trying to guess what attack your opponent is planning. It needs a small amount of table space to lay out the plank, but not a ton (Picture 10 playing cards side by side).

Pictures and Reviews here: http://www.ponderzombiegames.com (including youtube review)

Enjoy!
~ Ian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wargrave
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmb
Paulsharville wrote:
Hi. I'm going to be travelling for seven days on the Trans Siberian Railway with my oldest friend.

Paul

Just want to say WOW! My idea of heaven. What a great way to play board games - what a great holiday. Very jealous - did you book this through a tour operator.

Hope you enjoy.

For me twilight struggle definitely - but may be too long to learn and play while you have all that great scenery flying by (I assume)

I cannot figure out the links on my iPad but how about

Lord of the rings card game - love this and get a couple of expansions
Blood bowl card game looks good
Ice flow - still selling for 6 quid at shire games http://www.shiregames.com/khxc/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodsho...
Simple game really but has Siberia as part of the map
Pandemic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
You might want to look into game systems. Traditional numbered decks are easy for someone not initiated with strategy gaming to approach.

Here are some 2P games playable with an American deck of cards (not sure what the UK standard deck is, but tell me if you could): Great "Two Players and One Deck of Cards"

There's a great DIY system that's just been out a few years called Decktet, which has a good number of 2p games designed for it.

Finally there are a couple more obscure decks folks game with, they're Rage and Rainbow Deck. These decks offer more suits and numbers than a traditional 52, this makes them Ideal to play games such as Battle Line or Lost Cities. Some good resources for these games are:

Games playable with Rage deck (not the CCG) - please add!
Games that can be played with Rainbow Deck

This kind of thing seems ideal for traveling as all you'd need is some printed out rules, and a small deck of cards.

Have a good trip!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
Backgammon is really the only game you need.

(IMHO)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had success with Jaipur, Fairy Tale and Haggis: compact, fairly light, and pretty easy to learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
Citadels... and maybe if you're lucky, you'll meet a few more to play with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Van Zandt
United States
South Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
badge
PlayTMG.com
mbmbmbmbmb
for 2 players, inclusive of a non-gamer, I like:
Hey, That's My Fish!, Truffle Scuffle, Quoridor, and Rat Hot.

Jambo and Fjords are also good fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.